Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troop Rotations
Avete,<br>
<br>
I have been under the impression that the legionnaires on the fighting line would rotate with the ones in the rear so they would not wear themselves out so much.<br>
Is this true?<br>
<br>
If so, how would they go about doing this? It doesn't seem easy to just turn around and break off an engagement and let the man behind you take over. Would the relief soldiers just shoulder in beside them and take over? That seems the most logical to me. Would the soldiers do this on their own initiative, or would something signal them to do so?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
-Spatha <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spatha190>Spatha190</A> at: 3/16/05 8:50 pm<br></i>
I actuallxy don't think it was every intended to work like that. There is a place in Polybios that describes how the second rank can replace the first oif they tired out or were forced back. I haven't actually read the verbatiom quote, but what I would assume that to mean is simply that when the 'business end' of your standard three-deep manipular legion got into trouble (frex when exhaustion begins to tell and the enemy isn't breaking), the second line can move forward and join the fray.<br>
<br>
A number of exercises have been proposed how the first rank centuries would fall back imn good order, poassing through gaps in the second line top reform behind while the second rank noiw took their pülace. I have yet to figure out how you can do that without the active cooperation of your enemy. You can't very well say "Awfully sorry, my spiky-haired friend, but I'm winded. Just wait a bit and my comrades will be up, now be a good Celt." <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:</em></strong><hr>You can't very well say "Awfully sorry, my spiky-haired friend, but I'm winded"<hr><br>
<br>
There's an article by Phil Sabin in which he describes a theory of battle that factors in exhaustion. It consists of short engagements divided by pauses. It goes basically thus: the two armies face off, often at very close range, shouting insults and maybe trading missile fire. Fighting breaks out when "natural leaders" take the initiative toward the enemy (in which case the wedge as discussed on the other thread would be a natural maneuver as men followed in his wake, which could then be drilled and perfected) and a small area of combat takes place. Then exhaustion sets in and the lines seperate again. The same thing happens up and down the battle line. The pauses would offer the opportunity to exchange lines.<br>
<br>
I believe the article is "The Face of Roman Battle" and it's in the Journal of Roman Studies from a few years back. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan