Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange late roman helmet!
Check this out, scroll at the end of the site ( I think the language is serbian?):

http://forum.b92.net/lofiversion/index.php?t38171.html

Here it is:

[Image: Slem_iz_Jarka.jpg]

There are the those familiar "Berkasovo" helmets but the third gilded helmet (with a looong nose guard) looks new to me. Is it one assembled of the parts represented on Christian Mik`s book? Interesting Confusedhock: !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Excellent find Jyrki!!

If I read this correctly (and my knowledge of Serbian is zero), it was found near the village of Jarka, 17 km from the town of Sirmium (Sremska Mitrovica), in october 2006. The reconstructed helmet seems to be in a museum in a museum (Muzeju Vojvodine)?
(Šlem je otkriven u okolini sela Jarak, 17 kilometara jugoisto?no od nekadašnjeg Sirmijuma (Sremska Mitrovica), a putem otkupa 2006. godine dospeo je u Muzej Vojvodine, zahvaljuju?i zalaganju tadašnje kustoskinje dr Velike Dautove - Ruševljan.)

From the details, it seems like a real one:

[Image: 3-1.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
wow, that's a nice decorated helmet. Maybe I just decided which late Roman helmet I would like to have for an impression Big Grin Very interesting. Laudes for bringing it up, Jyrki
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks guys!

In fact there is nothing "strange" about this helmet, I was just so excited about this Big Grin ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Here is the official webpage of the exhibition:

[url:2cg0lkwt]http://www.muzejvojvodine.org.yu/?cir/vesti/izlozbe/1,75[/url]

Google translator produces this:

Amphitheater headpiece from ditch

Date: 12.05.2009.
Updated: 12.05.2009.
Slem_okrugli.jpg

The exhibition titled Amphitheater headpiece from the ditch, the Museum of Vojvodina is the three most valuable items from their collection of three gold-plated kasnorimska headpiece. Special attention is paid to the premijernoj presentation to the headpiece, which the museum came by purchase in 2006. year. In addition to these exceptional cases and archaeological artefakata that are found with them, visitors will have the opportunity to see the 45-minute documentary film "Valley of the golden helmet" dedicated to the discovery of helmet, the archaeological and historical context, and their fate in the hands of archaeologist and conservator.

Spot exhibition ...
slemJarak.jpg
slemKrcag.jpg

Amphitheater headpiece from bright, discovered in the 17 km southeast of the former Sirmijuma, in the vicinity of the village of Jarak. Thanks to efforts of the then kustoskinje Great Dauti-Ruševljan, due to the Museum of Vojvodina in 2006. year, through the purchase. Parts headpiece inventor discovered in a small ceramic pitcher. Before the experts with the Museum of Vojvodina, pozla?enog pieces of silver plate ispravljao is beautiful on the cardboard base, not poznaju?i their function and purpose. Therefore, the conservation and reconstruction of crash helmet presented painful job. But it is more difficult to reconstruct the event from the past that has caused the destruction of such raskošnog headpiece. The time when the pitcher stored in the country is bound to rough times IV century, when the Roman province of Pannonia was a place of many conflicts, from the internal struggle for power, to the wars that have led the Romans to the barbarians.
slema3.jpg

Wider audience to the museum contemporary way aim to present all three Roman gold-plated tin hat (which is one of the ditch, and two from Berkasova). Please note that no other museum in the world does not have three copies of this luxurious kasnorimskih helmet in their collections, the Museum of Vojvodina is a characteristic. Given that the exhibition will take time for the Museum Night event, it was necessary to make attractive and prijem?ivijom for a wide audience. Therefore, special attention is devoted to modern design (3D animation, comics ,...), a legend and Leaflet are bilingual (Serbian and English).
slemFlajer.jpg

The exhibition, Leaflet and accompanying monograph are implemented means of the Secretariat for the Culture of the Executive Council of AP Vojvodina, with the support of numerous friends Museum from which we particularly Kunsttrans Ltd., and then NS poster, Canon M, Roman town and fort Viminacium Petras and Equestrian Club. Owe a special thanks to Dr. V associates. Dautovoj-Ruševljan and doc. Dr Miroslav Vujovic, authors monographs.

Group visits can be announced to the phone 021/525-059.

Ticket price:

* For students and students of 50 dinars,
* 100 dinars for adults,
* Family ticket 200 dinars,
* For the conduct of foreign tourists in English 200 dinars.

The museum is open on working days and weekends from 9-17 pm. Mondays closed.

I assume "Amphitheater head piece means "parade helmet". If you follow the link in the middle of the page, there is a cool video of the helmet on youtube:

[url:2cg0lkwt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieU84vEwiJ4[/url]

Laudes to you for finding this exciting new helmet!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:Laudes to you for finding this exciting new helmet!

No, thanks to YOU Jens for this info, excellent! Big Grin !!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The above translation (Google?) is pretty rough, so beware. For instance, "late antiquity" is translated as "amphitheater," and the name of the village where the helm was found - Yarak - is translated as "ditch" in some cases and as "bright" in others.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
While looking for some 6. c. Byzantine helms, I've remembered this forum, and while searching stumbled upon this topic. I recon, that a quick fix of the lousy Google-translation would not be bad for a first post. Smile

It is early in the morning, so I didn't have enough time and energy to make sure that all the mess of the trans. software was corrected, but I hope this helps. I've sorted out the worst of the grammar and names related mistakes.

+++++++

Late antiquity headpiece from Jarak (?????, Jarak)

Date: 12.05.2009.
Updated: 12.05.2009.
Slem_okrugli.jpg

The exhibition titled Late antiquity helm from the Jarak, the Museum of Vojvodina is the three most valuable items from their collection of three gold-plated late Roman helms. Special attention is paid to the first-time presentation to the headpiece, which the museum came by purchase in 2006. year. In addition to these exceptional cases and archaeological artifacts that are found with them, visitors will have the opportunity to see the 45-minute documentary film "Valley of the golden helmets" dedicated to the discovery of helmet, the archaeological and historical context, and their fate in the hands of archaeologist and conservator.

Spot exhibition ...
slemJarak.jpg
slemKrcag.jpg

Late antiquity headpiece from Jarak, discovered in the 17 km southeast of the former Sirmium, in the vicinity of the village of Jarak. Thanks to efforts of the then curator Velika Dauta-Ruševljan, the helm was purchased for the Museum of Vojvodina in 2006. year. Parts of the headpiece were discovered in a small ceramic pot. Before the experts with the Museum of Vojvodina had the chance to examine the helm, gilt pieces of silver plate were straightened by the finder himself and attached to the cardboard base, not recognizing their function and purpose. Therefore, the conservation and reconstruction of the helmet presented painful job. But it is more difficult to reconstruct the event from the past that has caused the destruction of such a rich headpiece. The time when the pot stored in the country is bound to rough times IV century, when the Roman province of Pannonia was a place of many conflicts, from the internal struggle for power, to the wars that have led the Romans to the barbarians.
slema3.jpg

The museum aims to present all three Roman gold-plated helms in the collection (which is one of the Jarak, and two from Berkasova)in a contemporary way, to the public. Please note that no other museum in the world does not have three of such luxurious late Roman helms in their collections, that the Museum of Vojvodina is renown for. Given that the exhibition will take time for the Museum Night event, it was necessary to make the exhibition attractive and likeable for a wider audience. Therefore, special attention was devoted to modern design (3D animation, comics ,...), a legend and Leaflet are bilingual (Serbian and English).
slemFlajer.jpg

The exhibition, Leaflet and accompanying monograph are implemented means of the Secretariat for the Culture of the Executive Council of AP Vojvodina, with the support of numerous friends Museum from which we particularly Kunsttrans Ltd., and then NS poster, Canon M, Roman town and fort Viminacium Petras and Equestrian Club. Owe a special thanks to associates, Dr. V. Dautova-Ruševljan and doc. Dr Miroslav Vujovic, authors of the monograph.
Miloš Nešovi?
<a class="postlink" href="http://belgradearmourer.deviantart.com/">http://belgradearmourer.deviantart.com/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.myspace.com/belgradearmourer">http://www.myspace.com/belgradearmourer
Welcome, Milos! This just shows what a wonderfully international community RAT is. Thanks for fixing the worst of that piece of tekst.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks Milos!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Great find indeed. Just another great example of one of these beautiful late Roman helmets.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to post any pics or text off the helm if something else pops up.
Miloš Nešovi?
<a class="postlink" href="http://belgradearmourer.deviantart.com/">http://belgradearmourer.deviantart.com/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.myspace.com/belgradearmourer">http://www.myspace.com/belgradearmourer
Over the right eye next to the rivet , or what ever that round thing is- is that the number 9? What does that mean?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
The item next to the decorative is not a number 9, but a portion of one of the punched decorations that line the helmet. Each of the circles that you see was likely punched into the metal by hand using a special tool that created the design. One of them looks like a nine, likely because that particular decoration was not hit hard enough into the metal, or it has flattened out after being extracted from the original helmet (during the 4th or 5th Century).
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks marus I figured it was something like that.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,350 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,829 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria caiusbeerquitius 115 30,031 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Urselius