Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German translation
Is there a German literate member who can translate the following for me? It is from Kunze's book on greek shields, describing two shields.

Bei schild 3 eichneten sich in de ersetzen reste der unterlage zwei in Gegensinn gekruemmte vierkantige hoelzerne Staebe klar ab, die in der Mitte der Woelbung, wo die boegen einander nahe kommen, durch schraege Hoelzer verstrebt waren. Auf die glieche Holzkonstruktion fuehren zwei entsprechende bogenfoermige Spuren auf der Innenseite von schild 7, die sich aehnlich auch bei 6 finden. Heir scheint sogar der sich verbreiternde Riss, der quer ueber die woelbung des beschlages hinweggeht mit dem hoelzernen Stabwerk der Unterlage in Zusammerenhang zu stehen: denn seine seitliche Begrenzung folgt fast durchweg der verlauf der gebogenen Holzstaebe. Die Beobachtungen reichen noch nicht aus, um von der technischen Herstellung der hoelzernen Schildunterlage ein Voellig klares Bild zu geben. Soviel ist jedoch sicher, dass schon im Interesse der Festikeit auf technisch vollendete Zusammenfuegung des Holzes der grosste wert gelegt wurde.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Babelfish says;

"With sign 3 remainders of the document of two four-sharp-edged wooden staffs curved in opposite sense eichneten themselves clearly off into de replace, that were braced by diagonal woods in the center of the curvature, where would bend each other close come. On the glieche timber construction fuehren two appropriate arc-shaped traces on the inside of sign 7, which are similarly also with 6. Heir seems even the widening tear, straight over the curvature of the fitting passes with the wooden girder with rigid and movable bearings of the document in Zusammerenhang to stand: because its lateral delimitation follows nearly throughout the process of the curved Holzstaebe. The observations are not sufficient, in order to give from the technical production of the wooden sign document a complete clear picture. As much it is however sure that already in the interest of the Festikeit on technically completed joining of the wood the grosste worth one put."

:?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Thanks Conal, I tried a couple of online translators too. Funny how they give just enough information to show that something really interesting is being said, but not enough to be sure what it is!
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Funny how they give just enough information to show that something really interesting is being said, but not enough to be sure what it is!
Something peculiar has happened to your German, which is probably fooling the online translators. Some of your nouns have lowercase initials, so Babelfish etc. may not recognise them as nouns. Your "schild" should be Schild, which is primarily a signpost (hence Babelfish's "sign" -- it was obviously trying its best!) but also a "shield". And I don't recognise "eichneten" -- should it maybe be abzeichneten, "shown"?

A native German speaker can probably see at a glance what's going on. I, like you, would need to plough through, checking it word by word. :roll:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you, I'll clean that up and try again.
Paul M. Bardunias
Quote:Bei schild 3 eichneten sich in de ersetzen reste der unterlage zwei in Gegensinn gekruemmte vierkantige hoelzerne Staebe klar ab, die in der Mitte der Woelbung, wo die boegen einander nahe kommen, durch schraege Hoelzer verstrebt waren. Auf die glieche Holzkonstruktion fuehren zwei entsprechende bogenfoermige Spuren auf der Innenseite von schild 7, die sich aehnlich auch bei 6 finden. Heir scheint sogar der sich verbreiternde Riss, der quer ueber die woelbung des beschlages hinweggeht mit dem hoelzernen Stabwerk der Unterlage in Zusammerenhang zu stehen: denn seine seitliche Begrenzung folgt fast durchweg der verlauf der gebogenen Holzstaebe. Die Beobachtungen reichen noch nicht aus, um von der technischen Herstellung der hoelzernen Schildunterlage ein Voellig klares Bild zu geben. Soviel ist jedoch sicher, dass schon im Interesse der Festikeit auf technisch vollendete Zusammenfuegung des Holzes der grosste wert gelegt wurde.

On shield 3 on the decomposited remains of the lower layer there clearly are traces of two wooden staves with a tetragonal cross-section that a curved towards each other, and which were struted (fixed) by angular pieces of wood in the center of the camber/concavity, where those curves are closest to each other. The same wooden construction is implied by two likewise curved traces on the inside of shield 7, which can also be found similarily on shield 6. Here also the widening gap/crack running diagonally over the camber/concavity of the fitting seems to be associated with the wooden struting/framework of the lower layer: its lateral boundary follows almost completely the outline of the wooden staves. The observations are not yet sufficient to yield a absolutely clear picture of the technical production process of the wooden lower/base layer of the shield. It is certain, however, that with respect to stability alone a technically perfect joining of the wood was given the utmost importance.

Hope that helps - illustrations (which seem to be in the book) would help, since I'm not really very knowledgeable with respect to the details here ....
Easy when you know how ..! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Easy when you know how ..! Smile

Actually I was quite baffled by some words until I realized Paul's German orthography allergy is compounded by a dislike for leading "z"'s ;-) )
You can help me with another conundrum. My only knowledge of German comes through the filter of American comedians using Yiddish terms. Thus when I read "Shildschmuck," the image in my mind is one I doubt could be accurate- or comfortable. Can you tell me what it means?-
Paul M. Bardunias
Quote: You can help me with another conundrum. My only knowledge of German comes through the filter of American comedians using Yiddish terms. Thus when I read "Shildschmuck," the image in my mind is one I doubt could be accurate- or comfortable. Can you tell me what it means?-
Big Grin

Schild means shield
Schmuck means decoration, 'nice-looking stuff', like jewellery.
Schildschmuck therefore is the nice decorations added to shields.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That makes much more sense :wink: I'm thinking that "Schmuck" in american parlayance, from Yiddish, must have a slavic root.
Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help needed with German Translation Graham Sumner 7 2,002 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner