Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dendra armour location
Is the Dendra Panoply still in the Archaeological Museum of Nauplion or has it been moved?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I have read somewhere that it is now in the Glyphotek in Munich, but that might be just a model reproduction.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Well it was in 2002, but that is quite some time ago.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I have read somewhere that it is now in the Glyphotek in Munich, but that might be just a model reproduction.

You mix up the Dendra Armour and Denda´s panoply. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Opps, yeah you are right.. my apologies Smile
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
I have read somewhere that it has been moved to the Archaeological Museum of Corinth. I was wondering if it was true.

Also, does anyone have this paper?
Taracha, Piotr. 1999. Reconstructing the Dendra Panoply. ArchaeologiaWar 50. p. 7-12.
Is it in English?
I don't know if it wil be of interest, but I happened upon an old archaeological report that shows the cuirass unexcavated. Here's the image.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Very much of interest! First time I have seen the pic. Thats amazing how intact it looks.
So it is very much what you see it what you get with this piece!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is a discussion here if anyone wants to participate

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8942
Quote:So it is very much what you see it what you get with this piece!
Sort of. It has been heavily restored and what remains only weighs around 15 kg. My reconstruction weighs closer to 25 kg.
How is it to move in? Does it relect the idea of being for a chariot bound warrior, or is there a fair amount of flexibility and freedom of movement?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It was almost certainly worn by a charioteer. The question is whether it was worn by the driver or the archer. I'm leaning towards the driver because of the neck gorget. The armor is very modular however, and could easily be modified for foot combat by removing the gorget and one or two of the segmented plates.

I'd still be grateful to any of our Greek contributors if they could tell me whether it is still in Nauplion or is now in Corinth.
Well, if you don't hear soon I'll be going in a month or so, but can always ask a relative. He may be able to find out....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As far as I know it's still in the Nauplion Museum. It's definitely not in Corinth.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks Dan

I found where I read about Corinth
http://medarch.blogspot.com/2006/10/den ... rinth.html

If Ioannis is around, maybe he could clarify.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dendra cuirass moves to Corinth Dan Diffendale 21 4,665 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ioannis