Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
replica VOC ship destroyed by fire
Last night, a replica of the VOC ship 'Prins Willem', which was originally built in 1984 for the Holland village in Nagasaki, Japan and was back in the Netherlands since 2003, got destroyed by fire. Not our time period, but a big loss for our naval history.

[url:3v25uwh5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIBaTHg5i4[/url]

[url:3v25uwh5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1eRXj9dV0&NR=1[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
That was such a sad situation infact looking at the way those masts came down it could have been even a dangerous thing for fire crews that is a tremendous loss indeed.
Brian Stobbs
I was wondering what that was. I saw a clip on the news , just the tail end as I walked into the rec room. Nobody was watching of course!
Sad indeed!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That is a shame! But the photos of her burning (and chance to examine the newly burned wreckage) should be useful for something. And as fates for a replica ship go, burning at least has some character.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
'Luckily' as replica ships go, she wasn't the best in its class, with a steel hull and plenty of adaptations on the inside to accommodate guests. It looked good from the outside, like the Amsterdam, but certainly not as 'hard-core' as the Batavia.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Out here in Oz, we too have a replica VOC ship, to remind us that the Dutch got here long before Captain Cook ! She is called 'Duyfken' ( little Dove), and when I see her, I am always amazed at just how small she is......about the size of a large yacht !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:And as fates for a replica ship go, burning at least has some character.
You know how to express it; I wanted to post something along similar lines, that this fire had some kind of awe-inspiring beauty, but decided to leave it because it did not really express what I was thinking.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
A VOC Merchantman is quite a bit bigger, some 50 meters from aft to prow, but if you think about the size of the Ocean, that's not comfortably large!

And btw, did you notice that when it had burnt, you could clearly see the steel innards of the ship. That's not what it's supposed to look like.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:'Luckily' as replica ships go, she wasn't the best in its class, with a steel hull and plenty of adaptations on the inside to accommodate guests.
Which sealed her fate - the cause of the fire was electrical and probably started inside the bar.
IF she would have been adapted just a bit more, she would have had fire alarms or maybe even a sprinkler system. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I always wondered how would those ships burn (well, actually I´m thinking in the "napoleonic" ones). We can imagine a ship dismasted in battle, a ship exploding, a ship sinking slowly, but this was new for me Confusedhock: . That was the fate of so many of those giants (well, for the age and being hand made...) of the seas.

I can only add that it was not a more accurate replica with some gunpowder "or the fun" :roll:

PS: see it up to the end Confusedhock:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.