Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek inscription from Dura Europos
I have never been really good in Greek, and the text of this inscription consequently baffles me. It's from a Parthian stratum in Dura Europos and can be seen in the Louvre. I understand that people with native names are mentioned, but that's about everything I understand. Still, I think that my not-understanding has more to do with my own ignorance than with the obscurity of the text, which is easy to read. Probably someone with more expertise will solve this puzzle in a minute. (Is the first word ??????)

?..??? ?? ????????
?????????... ???.. ????
????????? ?????...
??????? ?????????
???????? ????????
?????????? ???????????
?????????? ???????
??????? ?????????
?????????? ???????
??????? ?????????
???????? ?????????
???????????
???? ??? ???????
??? ?????? ????-
???? ??? ?????
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Not expertise here either but it could be saying "???? ? ?? ????H??? ????????? ?? ??? ?????" and then the list of names but the first words cannot easily be distinguished. It would mean something like "God's Ypanemou built the house -list of names- for everyone's and children's salvation as wished". I'm not sure for the exact meaning of the beginning,mainly if Ypanemos is the name of the God,because the first word is not clear.
Until someone will reply better,hopw it helped a bit
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I must admit that I have not practised Greek since my school days but according to this source

[url:1r3huo4m]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Inscription_Dura_Europos_Louvre_AO18200.jpg[/url]

this inscription is from the temple of Adonis in Dura and according to this source

[url:1r3huo4m]http://books.google.de/books?id=jLOlAwInZtoC&pg=PA483&lpg=PA483&dq=%22Temple+of+Adonis%22+Dura&source=bl&ots=soi5YOfkMb&sig=js6FEubCA2s1edmjEY2ltnfnvr8&hl=de&ei=wOhuSvq0A9HDsgb2pbGiBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1[/url]

(p. 483) records the building of an oikos by 8 men with transliterated semitic names.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:ccording to this source
[url:37imc7n1]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Inscription_Dura_Europos_Louvre_AO18200.jpg[/url]
this inscription is from the temple of Adonis in Dura and according to this source
[url:37imc7n1]http://books.google.de/books?id=jLOlAwInZtoC&pg=PA483&lpg=PA483&dq=%22Temple+of+Adonis%22+Dura&source=bl&ots=soi5YOfkMb&sig=js6FEubCA2s1edmjEY2ltnfnvr8&hl=de&ei=wOhuSvq0A9HDsgb2pbGiBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1[/url]
(p. 483) records the building of an oikos by 8 men with transliterated semitic names.
I would not exclude the possibility that the Wikipedia is right; and the book you've referred to, looks pretty interesting. Incidentally, it confirms the reading "???? ? ?? ????H??? ????????? ?? ??? ?????" proposed by Giannis. Hypanemos may be a cultic title for a native god.

There are moments, like this for example, when I realize how beautiful the internet sometimes can be.
Jona Lendering
My website
I too think Giannis is right.

HYPANEMOS means a well protected ancorage (from storm that is).

Except Poseidon and Aeolos the Dioscouroi and other minor daities had power over the winds.

But at the roman period the word might have reffered to to any benevolent divinity.

The meaning could be given as "God's willing (or supporting or giving his eulogy)the person built the house"

Kind regards
HYPANEMOS could be a very fitting name for Adonis as Theocritus (The Psalm Of Adonis - from Fifteenth Idyll) reports that his cult included committing the boy Adonis to the waves. Lucian (Concerning the Syrian Goddess) also relates him to sea travel and to a river flowing into the sea.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:HYPANEMOS could be a very fitting name for Adonis as Theocritus (The Psalm Of Adonis - from Fifteenth Idyll) reports that his cult included committing the boy Adonis to the waves. Lucian (Concerning the Syrian Goddess) also relates him to sea travel and to a river flowing into the sea.
Well, it seems that we have found all the pieces of the puzzle. Thanks all.
Jona Lendering
My website
Only the word is not ???????? but ???????? and i'm not sure this can be translates as wind-protected?
Giannis K. Hoplite
No just my bad typing :oops: :oops:
Thanks for pointing out Giannis.
Dear everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread by accident and found it very interesting. I happen to have an interest in private associations in the Greek and Roman world. I would like to suggest a different reconstruction and translation.

The following is based only on the picture posted above, but in my opinion the first line should read:

????? ??? ???????

And translated:

“In the year of ??? (a three letter abbreviation or acronym of the eponymous priest or official), in the month of Panemos”

This is a standard introduction in documents of similar provenance and period (I assume that is how it can be dated so precisely to 153 CE). A great bunch can be found at

epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/

A full translation might go something along these lines:

“In the year of … in the month of Panemos
He (the following) raised the assembly hall

-names-

For the salvation of everyone and children (of the god)*
in accordance with the promise.”

* I take this to mean the members of a religious association

The inscription might be an honorific decree of a religious association. The decree commemorates the construction of an assembly hall or common house, an ????? paid for by the individuals listed in the decree. Religious associations (sometimes known as ????????) often held a common house, which included a banquet hall, alters and a shrine. They might also share a common tomb or burial ground.

Hope this was helpful,

Christian
Quote:Hope this was helpful
Yes, Christian, it certainly was. And welcome to RAT!
Jona Lendering
My website
I will agree with Jona here.
Cristian's interpretation fits too!

Kind regarrds
Good!!and welcome. Thanks for the input,it seems your translation fits nicely.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite