Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus, 1st AD, goldplated?
Awesome, just the ticket!
Timely thread with great information guys!! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, I know that stuff. But the problem is that my plates have niello, so that is also covered when you use that stuff.

Look at this: That buckle is gilded, so could I gild my niello plates from the mid first century AD too?
[Image: thetford.jpg]
(aka Niels)
Quote:Yeah, I know that stuff. But the problem is that my plates have niello, so that is also covered when you use that stuff.

Look at this: That buckle is gilded, so could I gild my niello plates from the mid first century AD too?
[Image: thetford.jpg]
Look, it's up to you as they're your property. The silver plating solution only silvers brass and copper. For instance, it won't silver any steel parts because it's the wrong metal, and the stuff only silvers metal anyway. As niello/enamel isn't brass or copper, or even metal, then it should be fine.

On another note, are your plates earlier 1st-Century similar to this? http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... cts_id=100

If that's the case then you shouldn't be selectively silvering any parts, but the whole thing as far as I can tell.

However, that gilded buckle you posted is from a much later date. To my mind it's a bit like saying it's okay to put a nasal protector on a Gallic A because Late Roman helmets had them.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Niello is an alloy of silver, copper and sulfer (after the Roman period most of the time lead was added to this alloy, but the Romans mostly used lead free niello).

I don't know if the silvering solution will cover the niello, but it could. That is, if the niello on your plates is real niello and not some kind of synthetic resin or enamel.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It's a little bit late, but here ( http://www.arhej.com/si/index.php?mID=g ... me=Tribuna ) is a picture of a golden belt plate dated in the time of Augustus. It was found in a well, at the excavations in Tribuna, Ljubljana in the year 2008. At the site were found a roman military encampment(Augustan and Tiberian time) and a prehistoric settlement(9-7 c. BC)
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu