Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Republican Militaria
I recently stumbled over this book:

POUX, M.: Sur les traces de César. Militaria tardo-républicains en contexte gaulois. Actes de la table ronde de Bibracte, 17 octobre 2002. Glux-en-Glenne : Centre archéologique européen du Mont Beuvray (Bibracte), 2008

It contains catalogues of late Republican militaria from a huge number of French sites including Bibracte, Ribemont-sur-Ancre and many lesser sites and very interesting discussion. Noteworthy points include:

new findings of Port (or proto-Imperial) style helmets from Ribemont, Gondole, Bibracte etc.

large numbers of other late Republican militaria including a number of swords

the finds include buckles and hooks which are very similar to those used on Kalkriese segmentatas which implies (although the authors are very cautious on this), that this type of armour may already have been worn by Caesar's soldiers

Highly interesting read, even if your French skills are limited (such as mine), the catalogues are worth a look.

BTW the excavation report of Gondole including the militaria are available online at [url:1rs6r3b9]http://gondole.arafa.fr/[/url] (2007) and [url:1rs6r3b9]http://arafa.fr/SPIP/spip.php?article47[/url] (2008)
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Is it still in print? Excellent links. Perhaps I need to research a trip to France sometime soon. Thanks!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is still in print. I got my copy here

[url:28fdy1hh]http://www.lechodesvagues.com/[/url]

but I assume that you may also be able to get it through amazon or directly from the museum.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:I recently stumbled over this book:

POUX, M.: Sur les traces de César. Militaria tardo-républicains en contexte gaulois. Actes de la table ronde de Bibracte, 17 octobre 2002. Glux-en-Glenne : Centre archéologique européen du Mont Beuvray (Bibracte), 2008

the finds include buckles and hooks which are very similar to those used on Kalkriese segmentatas which implies (although the authors are very cautious on this), that this type of armour may already have been worn by Caesar's soldiers

My copy of this arrived from l'Echo des Vagues (wow, were they fast!) - it had completely passed me by and I have to say, on first inspection, for a book supposedly about Caesarian sites, it contains more than a smattering of early imperial military equipment ;-) ) The lorica seg finds are definitely not just Kalkriese, and whether that is because the early stuff is 'contaminated' with later finds, or Corbridge types started earlier than all the other evidence suggests, remains a moot point. A nicely produced publication, but oh for an index!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there