Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Livius.Org, call for comments
As some of you may know, I am slowly preparing to move from old html to a content management system. It may take about a year, perhaps even more, until Livius.Org will start to look differently and I can add all kinds of facilities now absent from the site. This migration will be my main objective, but that does not mean that I will not add orginal content.

On this page, you can see the subjects that I hope to write about one day. I also have some 20,000 photos that I want to make available - think of Syria and Greece, that have until now been more ore less ignored, but also of Italy, Turkey, and Libya.

What would you like to see first? I may as well start with the things you RATs like to read/see. So, write down your suggestions, and I will see what I can do - without promising anything, because I also have to earn my money. And please take into consideration that Britain, Israel, and Greece have been dealt with elsewhere. Much though I would like to write on Hadrian's Wall, Greek art, or the rise of Rabbinical Judaism, it's unnecessary because other people have already written about it, and better than I possibly can.

[PS: If you know a trick to get some money, I'd love to hear it. If I could concentrate on my website for one month, I'd be able to perform miracles.]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:[PS: If you know a trick to get some money, I'd love to hear it. If I could concentrate on my website for one month, I'd be able to perform miracles.]

Perhaps you may want to get in contact with some web experts here in the forum who can tell you how to place advertisements on your page. Or some other form of return. I am no expert, but web 2.0 may offer some progressive business models which could cover at least some of your expenses. In any case, I don't think that banners would tarnish the reputation of your site in any way. It is by now much larger than a single person can effectively handle, but unlike an interactive forum you can't even raise donations, so you need to think of other ways of refinancing.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:As some of you may know, I am slowly preparing to move from old html to a content management system. It may take about a year, perhaps even more, until Livius.Org will start to look differently and I can add all kinds of facilities now absent from the site. This migration will be my main objective, but that does not mean that I will not add orginal content.

On this page, you can see the subjects that I hope to write about one day. I also have some 20,000 photos that I want to make available - think of Syria and Greece, that have until now been more ore less ignored, but also of Italy, Turkey, and Libya.

What would you like to see first? I may as well start with the things you RATs like to read/see. So, write down your suggestions, and I will see what I can do - without promising anything, because I also have to earn my money. And please take into consideration that Britain, Israel, and Greece have been dealt with elsewhere. Much though I would like to write on Hadrian's Wall, Greek art, or the rise of Rabbinical Judaism, it's unnecessary because other people have already written about it, and better than I possibly can.

An article on Ishtar might also be interesting. So would more on Posidonius the philosophical polymath. And something filling out the comment in the Zeno of Citium article about his connection (if any) to Babylonian thought might be interesting. More biographies of the diadochoi would be useful, but we also have Plutarch and some modern studies. One of the strengths of Livius.org is that you have lots of articles on lesser-known individuals.

A few paragraphs explaining how to pronounce words in translated cuneiform could also be useful. From reading a book on Old Persian I know that "š" is pronounced "sh" so "Ištar" is pronounced "Ishtar", but other readers may not know the conventions.

Quote:[PS: If you know a trick to get some money, I'd love to hear it. If I could concentrate on my website for one month, I'd be able to perform miracles.]
Well, the Roman solution would be conquering someone rich, but that seems to be out of fashion these days Smile //www.livius.org">www.livius.org , or asking for donations, I can't think of any practical suggestions. I like the fact that Livius is ad-free but of course you have the right to try to make money from it.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:If you know a trick to get some money, I'd love to hear it.
OK: this is my lucky night - I just won 100 euro in the lottery. Big Grin It's a beginning.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Congratulations.

From such humble beginnings do mighty empires grow.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LacusCurtius, call for comments Jona Lendering 0 602 07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering