Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biography of Pyrrhos
Hi Guys,

I see the new "Pen and Sword" biography of Pyrrhos is out and apparently doing well. Has anyone read it? Opinions?

They are also embarking on a series to cover the expansion of Rome from the conquest of Italy onwards. Looks promising.

Theo
Quote:They are also embarking on a series to cover the expansion of Rome from the conquest of Italy onwards. Looks promising.

The first volume, dealing with conquest of peninsular Italy, should be published on August 31. The book covers the period c. 500-264 BC and includes four new illustrations by Graham Sumner of Romans duelling with various Italian opponents (Etruscan, Samnite, Gaul, Tarentine). See link in my sig, below.

Cheers,

R
Has anyone read this? I see it was just released on Amazon.
[Image: 41iSYJ8h62L._SL500_AA240_.jpg]

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrrhus-Epirus-Je ... 1844159396
These two look promising. I cannot wait for the Arms and Armour to get here.....
I will wait until Ross's book is published before getting the one on Pyrrus....who knws, I may actually have a house or flat big enough to fit 3 more books....or I could jsust wait for mine to collapse into the downstairs neighbour's, hmmmm could just work that! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The book covers the period c. 500-264 BC

Ross, do you examine the Spartan Cleonymus' Italian adventure in the book? I'm always looking for more on his sorted career.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Ross, do you examine the Spartan Cleonymus' Italian adventure in the book? I'm always looking for more on his sorted career.

Hi Paul,

Yes, but briefly. S. P. Oakley's discussion of the sources relating to Cleonymus' Italian adventures is useful. See his Commentary on Livy, Books VI-X, volume 4. The relevant section is available to view on Google Books.

Cheers,

R
Thanks Ross
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I think I might put both of these books on my wants list. I don't know much about Pyrrhos other than the basics, but he and the other Northern Greeks (of Epeiros, Makedon, Thessaly etc.) have always intrigued me. I'm not a huge fan of Roman Empire things but the early Republic and expansion and conflict with contemporary powers in Greece and elsewhere is very interesting. I have always found Hannibal and his Carthaginians fascinating. If Alexander hadn't died in Babylon - would he have returned to Europe and conquered westwards? If either Hannibal or Pyrrhos had been more successful would we even have had a powerful Rome? Then the whole of European, and ultimately world history would have been very different.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:They are also embarking on a series to cover the expansion of Rome from the conquest of Italy onwards. Looks promising.

The first volume in the Roman Conquests series,dealing with the conquest of Peninsular Italy, is now available. See my sig for a link.

Cheers,

R!
Have recently ordered the Champion 'Pyrrhus of Epirus' book (or Pyrrhos of Epeiros as perhaps these days it should be titled) - should have it within days. I will review it thereafter. I'm really looking forward to a good read. Has anybody else delved into its pages yet?

[size=50:21bav7sj]111[/size]
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]