Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of Scorpions & Sliders
The artillery crowd has been too quiet of late, so here's a little something to get you talking and thinking. :twisted:

With all the controversy about different types of bases, winches, and in-swingers versus out-swingers I decided to take a closer look at one of the points where nearly all the experts and re-constructionists agree. One common feature of nearly every design is the “slider”. Everyone knows that it’s supposed to be a long board with a groove in the top for the bolt and a trigger on a raised block at the rear. The whole assembly rides in a dovetail joint in the case. We know this is correct for the gastraphetes because Heron said so quite explicitly. The small gastraphetes is a belly-cocker so its slider is used to draw the bow. Heron’s cheiroballista is essentially a gastraphetes with a different power source and as one might expect, their triggers, cases, and dovetailed sliders are quite similar. What do the sources have to say about the slider in the context of larger stand- mounted and winch-spanned scorpions? (note: all translations are from Marsden’s “Greek and Roman Artillery: Technical Treatises”

For the earliest large straight-spring engine Ctesibius'(via Heron) description is consistent with the smaller machine including the case, block, slider, and dovetails.

Biton’s work is more difficult to follow and he doesn’t mention the block, but the grooved slider riding in the hollow case is present. Both Ctesibius and Biton mention the use of ropes and pulleys on the largest engines to draw the slider forward to reach the bowstring.

Philon lists the case and indicates its proper length. He does not mention the slider. The first mention of the stock and related components is found in his discussion of the “wedge” engine…

We make the case, mounting, block, windlass, and hand-spikes like the standard ones, that is to say, the old ones, except that we slightly increase the size of the pull-back system.
Philon 61. 30-31
The question of the case, mounting, and the block, has been dealt with, because you must simply use the same old type…
Philon 62. 25-26
The mounting, case, block, claw (which draws the bowstring), the windlass, ratchet, hand-spikes, and all other parts in this machine, are constructed exactly as in other arrow-firers…
Philon 68. 4-5

This indicates that there is a standard configuration and that it incorporates a block. Much more extensive coverage is given to Dionysius’ repeating catapult,

“…which has a unique and very intricate arrangement.”
Philon 63. 21

In his introduction to the repeater he continues using the term block.

Quite a lot of missiles were loaded all at the same time into the case, and whenever the block was pulled forward, the claw jumped over the bowstring of its own accord, gripped it, and was automatically secured by the trigger.
Philon 73. 27-28

It is only when he elaborates on the engine’s unique features, that the term slider is introduced.

The case’s length conformed to the usual; but its thickness was 6 dactyls, its breadth 5 dactyls, and depth 3 dactyls. It had on it a wooden structure of appropriate breadth and height, which covered the whole case, but was just a little longer than the distance over which the bowstring was to be pulled back. This structure was made as a slider so that it could be pushed through the case. On this slider was fitted a bronze claw, made with a double prong. It was so contrived that, automatically, it first grasped the bowstring and locked the trigger and, then, when drawn back, released the trigger, all in the following way.
The claw was fitted to the slider, just as to the blocks in other catapults, except that it was low down, while the locking trigger projected a little at one side (as usual), but did not project at all on the other. When the bowstring had to be pulled back, the slider was in the forward projecting position and the excess part of it was pushed out at the front through the frame…But, when the roller revolved and the recess pointed downwards, the missile fell out of it onto the slider which had in it a shallow channel like a groove.
Philon 74.

If sliders were still the rule and not the exception in regards to stand-mounted torsion arrow-shooters in Philon’s time, why would he have gone to such length describing its shape? Couldn’t have just said it’s wider and has no raised block? Why mention that it can be pushed through the case, wouldn’t that be expected? Likewise, if all other “normal” engines had sliders would the projection of the slider through the frame be noteworthy? If, on the other hand, we allow that most engines of this era could have had some other design, then such an elaborate description is warranted. In the passage he gives a measurement for the depth of the slot in which the slider travels, but makes no mention of the dovetails associated with other slider weapons like the gastraphetes. Pushed forward without them, a slider would cantilever downwards out of the case. Perhaps in this instance having an upper case to hold the slider in place made dovetails unnecessary, but if they were a standard feature one would expect an explanation of their omission.

Vitruvius makes no mention of any dovetails when discussing the case, for which he includes its Greek nomenclature. We know he is familiar with the concept of dovetails because he uses them to hold the winch box together. When he discusses canalis fundus (the base of the groove) diostra, the Greek term for “slider”, is not included and again there is no mention of any dovetails. If they were needed to keep the "slider" from falling out he'd probably have mentioned them. Another issue raised by his description of the canalis fundus is its width. He gives a measurement of 1/4f, which correlates exactly with the 1/4f aperture he leaves in the center stanchion. To accommodate a wider dovetail, most reconstructionists carve out space for it in the bottom half of the aperture or simply widen out the whole opening to fit their theory. Neither solution quite fits Vitruvius' text. The term he uses for the block, chelonium, also appears in his description of the base where it refers to a hollow block or "shell". The chelonium and trigger are described in the same sentence, but not with the so called "slider", of which it is supposedly a part. To me, this indicates that the block, containing the claw and trigger, was more likely a separate item riding as a shuttle on top of a fixed rail called the base of the groove. John Anstee proposed a similar solution called a “trigger unit” on his carroballista.

No further mention is made of dovetails or sliders until Heron's cheiroballistra which has neither winch nor mounting, but like its ancestor the gastraphetes includes a crescent shaped fitting at the end of the case. This indicates that it too was belly-cocker which would need a dovetailed slider to function. On winch-drawn weapons there is no compelling reason for the “slider” to move at all. If such a fixed rail weapon were configured as an iron-framed in-swinger, with the frame mounted halfway along the case, the forward half of the case could be eliminated leaving only the canalis fundus projecting forward. Perhaps this is what Ammianus had in mind when he spoke of the quadratis stylus. It does help explain why the engines on Trajan’s Column appear to have their “sliders” forward all the time.

The existence of “sliders” on Roman era stand-mounted arrow shooters is therefore more an assumption rather than an established fact. There are two sources which make this assumption appear reasonable. First, the concept is carried forward from the very earliest descriptions by Ctsebius (Via Heron) and Biton. The pulling-forward mechanisms they associated with sliders are not generally mentioned by later writers. The only instance is the polyobolos which Philon describes as unique, having both a slider and a system for pulling it forward. Since this weapon is the exception rather than the rule, it is possible that a simple solution such as only moving the block had been arrived at and was in common use by Roman times. The other source, from which the slider and dovetails are borrowed, is the cheiroballistra. Using the designs of hand-held belly-cocked weapons like the gastraphetes or cheiroballistra to “fill in” perceived gaps in larger weapons is like using the manual for a rifle to assemble a howitzer. Just because two systems perform similar functions, it doesn’t mean they function the same way. Once a weapon becomes powerful enough to require a winch there is no longer any reason for the whole slider to move.

For those who find my latest heresy preposterous I refer you to the Cupid Gem which shows Cupid using a two-lever ratcheted winch to span a torsion catapult. According to the position of the claw and bowstring the arms are only partly drawn back, yet there is no portion of the "slider" visible beyond the face of the frame. If you can offer a better explanation than the fixed-slider/sliding-block hypothesis, that doesn’t include the tired phrase “the artist was wrong”, I’d love to hear it.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I just quickly read your post, Randi -- I'm up to my ears in other stuff just now. But I'm struggling to imagine how your block works without a slider. How does it ... slide?! :? Maybe I'm not thinking straight, ... but can you explain again?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: How does it ... slide?! :? ... but can you explain again?
I've got some CAD drawings and a 1/2 scale working model, but for now...
I see it working just like a monorail tram. The canalis fundus is the rail and the chelonium is the shuttle. If the rail is "T" or "I" shaped in cross section, the block could be "C" shaped so that it clamps down over the lips into the lateral grooves (the "C" channel was known ie. Elginhaugh ratchet) The original idea was John Anstee's, but I believe that following Ammianus, he included some guide rollers. IIRC There were some bronze rollers found with the Hatra frame that could perfom a similar function. They are often cited as part of a pulling-forward system but as I found out, there's no mention of such systems after the earliest Greeks. I believe Nick Watts uses a fixed-slider moving block on his Orsova ballista. To my way of thinking he has it almost right except he uses an up-scaled version of Heron's cheiroballistra case. That's like putting a rifle's wooden forestock or forehand on a cannon. With a winch to draw the weapon and a fixed rail the whole case forward of the ladder is superfluous and can be lopped off. Again that explains why the "sliders" on Trajan's are shown in the forward position and also why they appear too small to be part of the case. Back to the woodframers, John Anstee may just not have been enough of a heretic. Alan Wilkins' critique of his theory got me questioning exactly why everone knows that all Roman weapons had sliders. Throw in the contradiction apparent in the Cupid Gem and it all makes more sense.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
As promised, here are a few CAD drawings of two different ways that sliding trigger blocks could have been done. The first narrower one would work with the 1/4 F aperture described by Vitruvius. The wider one that clamps completely around the top of the canalis fundus is better with the wider aperture on the later Cremona battle plate. There is an intermediate narrow version where the trigger block clamps into grooves cut into the sides of the rail. I haven't finished a drawing of that one yet, But I'll get around it to eventually. I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who has found evidence that the "sliders" on there engines actually slid. Any takers?
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Our inswinger the trigger slides up and down the same as the drawing, no need for a slider. This is a quick post so will explain later.
Rgards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
IIRC, your engine is "Carnifex". Yes? Which is either John Antsee's original sliding trigger in-swinger or a close relative. A true outside-the-box thinker. I wish I could have met the man. Cry He was scoffed at by some when he proposed the idea. In fact, it was a certain remark about how his idea was outside the historical record that helped get me questioning exactly what the sources had to say about sliders. As I found out, the accepted way of things was more a series of assumtions than hard facts. It is only one solution, and not necessarily the best one compared to the scarce evidence (Cupid Gem). By my reckoning, the trigger block on an in-swinger would be wider, and since it extends out unsupported beyond the ladder, the canalis fundus should be more substantial. This seems to continue a trend that the blocks started out narrow (Vitruvius) and got wider (Cremona) and wider still into the iron-framers.
Regards,
Clodius
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
It was over 10 years ago that the inswing model was showen to me by John after he made a few of the 3 span pieces, his mind wandered to the iron frame. The model showed the mechanics and geometry of the arms and bow string, which lead to the thought of the slider needed to go as it would not ballance out. Having a open frame means as you say the block can be made wider. From this John phoned me to say what he came up with and sent a drawen and asked for thoughts, which was then made and put on the machine. This solved a lot of the problems faced by slider machines jamming in wet weather, which we solved on our slider machine, as last weekend our machine was drenched, and we went out after and continued to fire. You are right there is more than one way to do the same job and throught the Empire some machine were probbely modifed by artillary men to make them work better :!: All in all our experience is that the machine needs fine tunning but when it fired it out preformed a machine that cleared 14 acres. It was no way near tentioned up. I still miss him very much as the other ideas he had on other matters, which I hope one day to continue Big Grin
Keep up the good work and let your mind wander Big Grin
[Image: P7260682.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote: I still miss him very much as the other ideas he had on other matters, which I hope one day to continue Big Grin
Keep up the good work and let your mind wander Big Grin
[Image: P7260682.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
I try not to let my mind wander. It's too little to be let out alone. :lol: It gets me in trouble by asking things like "Why?" and "Says who!" a lot. I'd like to think that questioning the existence of "traditional" sliders back into the wood-framer era is merely an extension of his work. Just the next bite at the heresy cupcake. Some would say it's a fools errand to try to impose a linnear model on torsion development. History doesn't necessarily work this way. There are often fits and starts, throwbacks and dead ends, even in weapons development. There are also pitifully few data points to work from. Still, if one general "unified theory" can be developed that doesn't directly contradict the evidence, it's bound to be better than one which defies logic or calls for one to dismiss what few sources we have. I'm glad the field troops has managed to iron out the engineer's errors in making your slider work. That's a grand tradition among the grunts and I've done my share. Unfortunately, that phenomenon often plasters over things that should, or in this instance were done differently.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Hello! I have been to Roman Army talk many times doing research (lurking) and thought I'd finally join up. I am an innovator who totally ignorant of siege-engines and the like developed an in-swinger design while on a quest for superior velocities. I started out with the idea of combining a slingshot with a bow and the final result is an "engine" that I use to power a variety of torsion based devices inlcuding mech. asssist slingshot, catapulta, ballista bow, and a "manuballista" My dilemna is what it should be properly called. I have not been able to decide if it is a ballista, a manuballista, or what.

The engine is capable of firing whatever you want and most resembles the theorized "Hatra" design but without the huge size, stanchions and the like. So, because it can fire arrows or bolts, and rocks or what not (I use large steel ball bearings to keep velocities down). I also use steel springs instead of rope bundles...

By definition a crossbow is powered by limbs so it is not a crossbow or bow but torsion based, and an inswinging design to boot. I dont know what to properly call it when it is used LIKE a crossbow on a crossbow like rail and frame, it is loaded by hand but can use a "crankaroo". The closest I can come up with is "manuballista" or "Scorpio" (miniture scorpion).
Can anyone here help out?

Also, while developing this machine (with a ordinary slingshot as a starting point to combine best features of both slingshot and archery bow) I have gained a world of practical experience and knowledge. While known inswingers (hatra, Davinci's springald) use only 90 - 100 degree's or arc mine is able to generate well in excess of 120 making it pretty powerful. I may be able to help some here with their questions about construction and performance and will try to help if I can. To be honest historical replicas are not my area of interest nor is historical accuracy but machine performance. Also because my interest is performance based, I have little interest in out-swingers or rope bundle tech. Only interested in re-creating the outstanding performance these machines were reported to have.

Lastly, after years of development I am interested in possibly making them for sale, and actually have a well known crossbow man. interested in the designs. Being as this is purely a historical society, I can understand if you boot me off BUT - being (historical) siege-engine fanatics would there be a market however small that would be interested in such a machine? All my research seems to indicate what I have developed IS a siege engine?

I keep thinking of my "crossbow" as a manuballista-although designed for arrows or bolts. In catapult mode I can shoot either by changing out the string for one with a pouch. I am also working on the next advancement coming up with something most resembling the chinese multiple limbcrossbow. I am only interested in fastest, farthest, most hard hitting and that is where my design work has taken me....

Hope this post dont offend you-all too much, because I'd like your help. I offer my practical experience or advice in exchange so I can leave as much or more than I take away...

Thank you for your consideration and hope I have found the correct thread or forum to post. If not my apolagies.

Warhammer1
Torsion rules! - Joel from Ham. Ont. Ca.
Warhammer 1,
Welcome to RAT, you may want to add your real name somewhere in your signature block. Many of us use Roman names as well, but I think the Moderators require real names so folks know who they are talking to. Don't let that put you off, we're always glad to have active input from someone with experienced in the ballistic arts and sciences. It doesn't matter to most whether you're into it for history's sake or not there's always something to be shared. One of my friends is a serious Punkin' Chunker. It's fun working with him because you aren't tied to ancient sources, materials, or methods. From your description, your engine it sounds most like an updated Cheiroballistra but depending on the layout it could be manuballista also. If it is closer to the Hatra frame you may want to coin a new term like "Hatraballistra Minor". Could you post a picture? This paritcular post its mostly concerned with narrow-framed or "euthyone" weapons, but there are others on RAT about ballistas, both wood and metal-frames whose wider aperture makes them technically capable of discharging stones or sharps. If your design can be easily carried and shot by one man it might not really qualify as a siege weapon. Like the carroballista which is reported to have been fired from a cart it may be more of a field-artillery piece or personal weapon. I'm not sure if there is a market for them here, but theis site does have a marketplace section for vendors. Another site devoted to all sorts of throwing machines is "The Hurl".
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Thank you for the welcome and advice. I dont mind the mods seeing who they are talking to but prefer my name kept from public viewing? I'd also like to one day compete in the punkin chuckin contest or start one here in Ontario Canada. BTW, there are many Roman re-creation groups here and in other provinces. Some just a HURL away LOL.

The narrow framed machines are in my estimation the earlier versions while the wider framed machines designed to take fuller advantage in the change of positioning of the side stantions or arm stops or limiters. With the increased limb arc possible by the tech. advancement would also have changed other components including limb length, distance between the frames,and length of pull, and also the need to increase the length of rope bundles allowing the increased limb arc capabilities. As with all things, the materials available to utilize in the construction of these machines allowed further advancements and capabilities which would also have changed the mathematical calculations for optimal performance for a given task. The machines design/constuction is purpose driven and outcome based as is most tech. advances. It would seem to me that the cheiroballistra (Scorpion) name contradicts classification because while capable of firing stones my understanding is that it fired large darts or spears. Another definition criteria I have come across is that ballista's fired non-sharps. While you have cited narrow framed to wide frame machines as a criteria for definition, other places cite the stanchion placement as a criteria to differentiate between different types. Thus my confusion in what constitutes naming criteria or defining characteristics...

Well, the better half is calling and I gotta go for now. Thanks again for advice and be back later.

Warhammer.
To my understanding the terms cheiroballistra and scorpion describe completely different weapons. First is wide-spaced, iron-framed, and according to some (myself included) it was an in-swinger. Scorpion was either a wooden-framed, narrow-spaced outswinger, or a one-armed stone thrower. There are those who think that all ballistas were in-swingers and that the two existed side by side until around 100 AD when the iron-framers made the euthyone redundant.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Sorry, I have read conflicting reports from different sources. It was my understanding that a Scorpion was so named because it fired long darts up at a steep angle and while falling to the ground pinned men to the ground like a bug on a pin. A one armed throwing device (kicking mule or ass) is an onager? My confusion must stem in that a Scorpion was a name of a type of cheiroballstra. Like a Chevy impala or chevy nova....

I was understanding that the cheiroballistra demonstrated the most advanced tech. changes including the metal bundle covers that protect it from moisture. The I had thought the cheiroballistra could be made either with a narrow spacing or wide according to purpose but mainly designed to be mobile and more compact. The scorpion in some accounts were sometimes mounted on chariots or carriages, or mounted high on ballistrades. This is where I get bogged down by acadamia.

My reading or research only suggests the main tech. advancements was the positioning or spacing of the side stanchions from paralell to offset thus giving limbs more arc. There are two different terms assigned to each as the stanchion placement the main criteria for the two terms. Other major differences are the tech. advance from limb powered to torsion, the use of metal frames allowing a wider frame.

I cannot be sure, but years ago I came across a beautifully crafted machine (by aitor?) with the metal jackets holding bundles. This machine demonstrated it could be used either as an outswinger or inswinger alternately as wished. I suspect it was made according to that marden dudes specs, but my observation was that the frame was too wide or the bundles too short for max effeciency. Either way it was a beautiful machine. That marden guy sure knew history but I dont think he ever built one or designed any working machines.

Although my prototypes are small with a five inch arm, it has no prob creating significant velocities and distance with a 1 1/4 inch steel ball. The holes in my concrete basement wall suggests that yes, it IS a siege-engine but a very small one. The "scorpion" on youtube "building the impossible" was laughable in performance and broke on the second shot despite all the world class engineers and craftsman that built the thing. If it was built to Mardens specs, it proved nothing except Mardens theories/interpretations were seriously flawed.

It seems that old world engineers had it going on, and could teach modern engineers a thing or two because modern recreations rarely perform as historical accounts suggest in most re-creations I have seen on the discovery channel. They still cannot figure out how some things were accomplished thousands of years ago by so called primitive societies and tech.

Well, I have been on the internet too long.

I updated my profile to include a name so I hope all is cool now.
Well, I've read many of the available texts including Marsden's, but yours is the first mention I've seen of the "bug-on-a-pin" explanation for the name scorpion. It's also the first time it's been connected with the cheiroballistra. It's generally accepted that the two were vastly different weapons. If you can direct me to the source of that info it would be very helpful. I've had debates with folks in the past whether the scorpion was a direct line-of-sight or long-range plunging-fire weapon. Sometime around 380 AD Ammianus wrote "The design of the scorpion, which they now call the onager, is as follows." This indicates that the term was applied differently throughout the Roman Era. Aitor's little masterpiece of a weapon was originally configured as an out-swinger, but after further research he later converted it to an in-swinger.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
If you think about a real scorpion it strikes its prey with the tail arcing over the head of the scorpion and striking its prey at an angle very similar to that of a large 6 to 8 foot long dart losing velocity and falling from the sky towards earth. I am pretty sure the term Onager comes from its action like that of a ("kicking ass) although later the onanger was referred to as a mongonel. Your punkin chuckin buddy will back me up on that I believe. Its been a few years since I did a lot of research, but will look for references. Aitors machine wide frame does make more sense as an inswinger and in that the width is not excessive as when contrived as an out-swinger.

Heres a little blurb I found that explains that some terms/names may have changed over time and thus the reason for some confusion:

"Catapult

A catapult is any siege engine which uses an arm to hurl a projectile a great distance, though the term is generally understood to mean medieval siege weapons. The name is derived from the Greek ???? (against) and ??????? (to hurl (a missile)). (An alternate derivation is from the Greek "katapeltes" meaning "shield piercer," kata (pierce) and pelta (small shield)). Originally, "catapult" referred to a dart-thrower, while "ballista" referred to a stone-thrower, but the two terms swapped meaning sometime in the fourth century AD.

Catapults were usually assembled at the site of a siege, and an army carried few or no pieces of it with them because wood was easily available on site. Although usually incorrectly depicted with a spoon on the end of the arm (as in the picture to the right) catapults were most often equipped with a sling to hold the projectile.

Types
Catapults may be classified according to the physical concept used to store energy when winched and release the energy when fired required to propel the projectile

Catapult
The earliest documented occurrence of catapults in China was the levered catapult and an eight foot high siege crossbow from the Mozi (Mo Jing), a Mohist text written at about the 4th - 3rd century B.C by followers of Mozi who founded the Mohism of thought during the late Spring and Autumn Period which is about 6th century BC and 5th century BC and the early Warring States period. Much of what we now know of the siege technology of the time came to us from Books 14 and 15 (Chapters 52 to 71) on Siege Warfare from the Mo Jing. Recorded and preserved on bamboo strips, much of the text is now unfortunately extremely corrupted. However, despite the heavy fragmentation, Mohist diligence and attention to details which set Mo Jing apart from other works, ensured that highly descriptive details of the workings of mechanical devices like Cloud Ladders, Rotating Arcuballistas and Levered Catapults, records of siege techniques and usage of siege weaponry can still be found.[1]

The first European catapult distinct from hand-held launchers (bows, javelins, slings, etc.) was the Greek Gastraphetes, a crossbow so large it was braced against the abdomen rather than being held in the hand, hence the nickname belly-bow.
The next step from this was a larger form a crossbow mounted on a stand, including early versions of the oxybeles (Greek for bolt shooter) and the ballista (the Roman version of the oxybeles). The arbalette à tour was a medieval version of the stand-mounted crossbow. These catapults are tensional, in that the energy is stored as tension and compression of the bow. Although similar to a crossbow, a sling on the end of the rope meant these weapons could be used for firing all sorts of projectiles, from rocks to pots of Greek fire.

Subsequently, torsional catapults were developed; those with two torsion powered arms, the later versions of the ballista and oxybeles, and those with one torsion powered arm, the onager, known in medieval times as the mangonel. The bottom end of the throwing arm of the onager and the inner ends of both ballista arms are inserted into rope or fibers that are twisted, providing a torsional store of energy. Torsional ballistas were operationally equivalent to their tensional cousins, except the torsional energy store gave greater power. Onagers have an arm with a bucket, cup, or most often a sling to hold the projectile at one end.

Finally, the last type of catapult is a trebuchet, which used gravity or traction rather than tension or torsion to propel the throwing arm. A falling counterweight, or the effort of the one or more operators, pull down the bottom end of the arm and the projectile is thrown from a sling attached to a rope hanging from the top end of the arm, essentially like a sling attached to a giant see-saw. The counterweight is much heavier than the projectile. More modern trebuchets often replace the counterweight with industrial springs to create tension.

History

French troops using a catapult to throw hand grenades during World War I.
Improvised catapult made out of leaf spring during the Warsaw Uprising for launching of Molotov cocktails.

In Europe, the first catapults appeared in Greek times around 400 BC-300 BC [citations needed]. According to Greek engineer and inventor Hero of Alexandria, the first types derived from by the earlier gastraphetes ("Belly-bow"), consisting in composite bow mounted transversely on a stock, much like the crossbow. A larger version of this was called an oxybeles and is the precurser to the ballista. Biton attributes the creation of the first crewed catapult to one Zopyrus from Taranto, in southern Italy.

Early adopters of the catapult design were Dionysius of Syracuse (who called it katapeltikon) and Onomarchus of Phocis. Katapaltai are mentioned in the Siegecraft (Poliork?tika) treatise of Aeneas Tacticus, from around 350 BC. It is probable that standard torsion-powered catapults entered in common use in Greek world and Macedon only around 330 BC. Alexander the Great introduced the idea of using them to provide cover on the battlefield in addition to using them during sieges. Projectiles included both arrows and (later) stones.

Romans started to use catapults probably as arms for their wars against Syracuse, Macedon, Sparta and Aetolia (3rd-2nd century BC). Standard use of artillery (ballista and onager) is attested only from the time of Julius Caesar, however.

In the Medieval times, when the trebuchet was introduced a relatively short time before the advent of gunpowder, the catapult became basically obsolete. Cannons soon replaced catapults as the standard siege weapon in Europe in the 14th century.

During medieval times, catapults and related siege machines were the first weapons used for biological warfare. The carcasses of diseased animals or even diseased humans, usually those who had perished from the Black Death, were loaded onto the catapult and then thrown over the castle's walls to infect those barricaded inside. There have even been recorded instances of beehives being catapulted over castle walls.

The last large-scale military use of catapults was during the trench warfare of World War I. During the early stages of the war, catapults were used to throw hand grenades across no man's land into enemy trenches.

Until recently, in England, catapults were used by thrill-seekers as human catapults to experience being catapulted through the air. The practice has been discontinued due to fatalities, when the participants failed to land onto the safety net.

..............................................................................................................................................................

- doncha hate that when it happens with the gastraphetes or belly bow - first crossbow, The draw on this critter was so extreme it used an unusual way to load string. A travelling wooden rail extended out in front of the machine and braced upon the ground, a stone or tree trunk and was pushed forward with the belly loading the string. The description makes it sound like you shoot it braced against your belly which musta knocked the snot outta ya. - Warhammer

In any event it does appear that the machines names changed over time, and surely this musta screwed with Marsdens head. There is a modern author TE Rihll a professor somewhere in UK wrote a book in which she apparently disputes Marsden on more than one occasion, and appparantly lays into a few others....

Uh-oh. its 6:30 AM and I've been on the computor too long again...time for a nap. Thanx for the kickin conversation(s). Im giving that slider prob some thinking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catapults, a Case Against Sliders (Heresy) P. Clodius Secundus 9 2,689 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: P. Clodius Secundus