Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for Caesar Quote
Greetings!

I came across this quote attributed to Julius Caesar:

"Never ask advice of anyone above the rank of Centurion."

No source was given, and though I might be safe in assuming it comes from Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War, I would rather know than guess.

Can anyone point me to the source for this quote?

Thanks.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
First time I have heard it that I ca nrecall, but certainly would be sound advice, and also explain Caesars good fortunes in war.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I doubt it's authentic. It may be a sound advise, but it would be an unnecessary insult of the senators and knights.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Yes, but that never deterred him did it?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I was afraid that might be the case Jona -- what Caesar might have thought but never actually articulated. Cry

As you say Gaius, it is sound advice and Caesar was not above insulting Senators. Even so, that quote seemed just a little too pithy. :?

Oh well -- it was perfect for my lecture but I will do with out it. :oops:

Thank you gentlemen for the quick response -- I do appreciate it. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:"Never ask advice of anyone above the rank of Centurion."
It may well be Allan Massie, but since I refuse to give his books house room, I cannot check.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:it was perfect for my lecture
What kind of lecture?
Jona Lendering
My website
I'm reading Gallic Wars for the third time in fairly quick succession, and don't recall that from the translation I have, at least, Penguin Classic. I'm pretty sure that thought must have crossed his mind, too, but couldn't imagine the political consequences...no wait, they'd probably draw their daggers, and --- :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Narukami:z64vzb57 Wrote:it was perfect for my lecture
What kind of lecture?

Ah, there in lies a tale, the short version of which -- my grandson's 3rd Grade teacher spends her summers teaching a class in Ancient Civilizations for John Hopkins University at their affiliate campus in Pasadena. When she saw photos of Kalani's centurion costume we got to talking, one thing led to another and she asked me if I would be interested in presenting a lecture on the Roman Army to her class.

Well, the Roman Army is a bit much to cover in a one class period so I narrowed it down (just a bit) to talking about the Centurions in the Legions of the Late Republic / Early Principate.

It is a small class of 12 students so this will be fairly informal. In most courses on ancient Rome (high school or college) the Roman Army is either ignored completely or given short shrift so I see this as an opportunity to give the students some information they might not otherwise learn.

Besides, a chance to spend an hour talking about the Roman Army... sounds like fun to me. Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
It is a pity that you can not now visit Xanten. There's a small exposition on Marcus Caelius, illuminating all aspects of his cenotaph - and therefore, his career, his social class, his status (two freedmen!), his place of birth (Bologna, i.e. Cisalpine Gaul), and of course his death in the Teutoburg Forest.

Being 53-and-a-half, he must have been a very, very capable man who stayed in the army. Someone whose opinion you'd gladly ask, if you believed that everyone with a higher rank was incompetent. He must have died together with Varus, and I wonder what his last words may have been - but "Never ask advice of anyone above the rank of Centurion" is, under the circumstances, a reasonable guess.
[Image: marcus_caelius_painted.JPG]
Jona Lendering
My website
Indeed so - I would love to see that exhibit. To view his cenotaph up close and in person would be worth the price of admission alone.

I do plan on mentioning Marcus Caelius and how much of our information about the Army is derived from their memorial markers.

You're quite right that Marcus is a remarkable case -- 53 and still on active duty, what a life he must have led. Being a soldier of long standing there is no doubt his final words were brief and to the point.

Thanks for posting the color version of the marker -- looks great. It is so easy to forget just how important color was to the ancients. We tend to think of it as something 'modern' but nothing could be further from the truth.

If I ever get back to Europe I have a long list of places to visit.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I searched an electronic version of Caesar's commentaries in English for every instance of the word "centurion" mentioned, and the "quote" was not there.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supposed quote from Julius Caesar, true or false? Anonymous 6 1,770 10-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Anonymous