Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In search of a picture of a medal
Hi folks,

I would like to publish my thesis late this year or in the first months of 2010, but I still need the permission for a number of pictures I'll have to include. One of them is the famous REDDITOR LVCIS AETERNAE medal of Constantius I. (see below).

http://www.kenelks.co.uk/coins/carausius/csmedalobv.jpg

Now I would like to ask if anybody here has a high resolution of this picture and would grant me the permission to use this picture in my thesis.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich (used to love going there when I was a kid, usually fitting it in with a trip to the Cutty Sark and standing with one foot on either side of the Meridian up at the Observatory...) have an image of this medallion (no, I'm not sure why either!) and contacting their picture library may enable you to negotiate its use for your thesis. Worth asking, anyway.

For those who note such things, this is my 999th post to RAT. Expect something rather interesting in my 1000th.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Tsk. I've been here since the end of '01 and I've barely managed 180. At this rate I'll never rise higher than Centurio...
Hi Florian,
I've got a photo of that medallion from the BM.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Looks like you're sorted, Florian. :wink: (Give us a flash of that spatha!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks Mike, thanks Jasper,

it looks as if my quest is coming to an end Big Grin

Duncan, you want to see the flash of the spatha? Reminds me of an old song by Iron Maiden (The Flash of the Blade).

Ok, here it is :wink:
Hm.... the blade doesn't show up - maybe this time...

Ok, that's much better! The blade was made by Paul Binns. It took some time but I'm happy with the result.
Quote:Duncan, you want to see the flash of the spatha?
Very nice indeed. And good luck with the thesis.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Wow, nice blade, nice baldric.....Works of art! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Works of art!

Thanks, oh mighty Caesar Big Grin
The one item cost me a lot of cash and the other one a lot of time (it took quite a while to stitch the baldric, especially since some areas are done in opus insectile) and I'm going to regret both one day...
But hey, I've just noticed this is post Nr. 500 for me! (and there was much rejoicing!!! Big Grin )
opus insectile = notched work?

Why will you regret it? Looks great......when you come to regret it too much, just send it to me!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel