Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry Allingham, last WW1 airman died
[url:3a466it7]http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/jul/18/obituary-henry-allingham[/url]

He was the (officially) oldest man on Earth, aged 113, ald also the oldest Navy and RAF veteran, being also a founder of the latest (April 1918). He flew over Jutland and Ypres.

Today, the Great War falls bit more in the past, as you won´t hear one voice telling you how it was seeing it from above. When 2014 comes, I doubt there will be any survivors still alive to tell us about that. We´ll have only the books, the letters...and photographs.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Sad yes. Time stands still for no man, and it is perhaps truely just that a man who gave so much in such a generation shattering conflict, should have been blessed with such a long life.
We have sadly, as a species, yet to truely learn the lessons that these people were here to give us in their lifetimes.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I suppose that I should be very proud indeed to have followed in the foot steps of such a wonderfull man for when I was in the Royal Air Force I helped to reform 12 Squadron when it took on the Buccaneer Bomber.
Then of course the last of three Buccaneer Squadrons that I was with was the Black Saints or 16 Squadron that was originaly formed at Saint Omer in 1916.
The one between these two was an Operational Conversion Unit 237 OCU that was both Royal Air Force and Fleet Air Arm combined, and very much like Dear Henry Allingham I began my service in the Royal Air Force as an aircraft instrument mechanic.

I admire and salute a very great Gentleman.
Brian Stobbs