Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Assassins of Caligula
Avete,<br>
<br>
Having read about the assassination of Caligula in Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars," I was left wondering if what happened to the conspirators is known.<br>
<br>
Suetonius says that a few were killed immediately after the assassination by the German bodyguard and that later Claudius had a few put to death as well.<br>
<br>
Do any other sources say what happened to Colonel Cassius Chaerea? What about Colonel Cornelius Sabinus? Out of all the assassins, how many lived out the rest of their days? These men are heroes of Rome and January 24 should be declared a holiday!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
-Spatha<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<<Do any other sources say what happened to Colonel Cassius Chaerea? What about Colonel Cornelius Sabinus?>><br>
<br>
I don't have my Suetonius handy, but I believe Cassius Chaerea was put to death by Claudius, and that Sabinus was initially spared, but committed suicide in solidarity with some of the other assassins. Claudius ordered the execution of the ringleaders on the principal that the murder of an emperor, no matter how bad a ruler, could not be allowed to pass unpunished. Also, there is the sense that Chaerea led the assassination not out any sense of civic duty, but because Caligula had made him the butt of numerous pranks and dirty jokes (such as giving him watchwords like "Priapis" and "Venus").<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Legio VI VPF<br>
CA, USA <p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post