Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Von Stauffenberg and Classics
Last week, I visited a small memorial museum in Stuttgart, dedicated to the Von Stauffenbergs (more...). What I did not know, was that as young men, they were members of the circle of the poet Stefan George, who believed that the masses ought to be guided by an ascetic, well-educated, and selfless nobility. These ideas are Platonic; and I realized how deeply the Von Stauffenbergs were immersed in classical culture when I read their secret manifesto, in which they accepted as axiom that Christianity and Hellenism could only merge within the German soul. Although this nationalism strikes us as odd, there was nothing unusual about it in the first quarter of the twentieth century.

I do not agree with their axiom. But I am impressed that they believed that being introduced to the classics creates responsibilities. Too often have I met people to whom a classical education was something to show off with, and who take priviliges for granted. Too often, classical education is seen as a matter of personal growth, instead of an adhortation to serve the community. As Thomas Mann observes in his Doktor Faustus, the reduction of classical education to something individual, and the abandoning the social component, was why all classical education, in spite of the big claims made about it, eventually did not matter in the Third Reich.

The Von Stauffenbergs believed that a classical education implies that one needs to serve the community. Had they succeeded, they would probably not have created a democratic Federal Republic; but at least they acted, were selfless, and understood that privilege comes with obligation.

I am fascinated by their aristocratic idealism. You don't need to share it to recognize that it is superior to the more individual attitude. The Von Stauffenbergs acted, Mann's Serenus Zeitblom allowed himself to be pensioned off. So here is my question: is there a book that covers the cultural ideas of George and the Von Stauffenbergs? Is there a publication that deals with the Stauffenbergs and the classics? There must be one, if only because one of the three brothers became an ancient historian/archaeologist. All advise is appreciated.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Is there a publication that deals with the Stauffenbergs and the classics? There must be one, if only because one of the three brothers became an ancient historian/archaeologist. All advise is appreciated.

Might this be of any help? Amazon.de have it.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Might this be of any help? Amazon.de have it.
Thanks Mike. That was exactly what I was looking for. Fascinating review.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website