Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just some new projects
Just wanted to share some of my current projects with you all. Hope this again will inspire others to work on their kit as well.

Parma of the COH II BAT. The design is based on a local coin. Still have to attach an umbo and a decorated shield handle based on a find from Empel-de Werf. Also have to do the finishing touch on the paint job.
[Image: IMG_2947.jpg]

My first brass shield edge. (0.5 mm brass sheet)
[Image: IMG_2951.jpg]

My new scutumcover. Still have to stich the tabvla onto it and oil it. (Yes, I know it's chemically tanned leather, but I got a big piece for free...)
[Image: IMG_2952.jpg]

And some strigili (from 0.8 and 1 mm sheet brass). If someone is interested, I have some of these for sale, when I finished polishing them and attached wooden handles.
[Image: IMG_2948.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2949.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
A late Roman belt buckle, based on local find, out of 2 mm brass sheet.
[Image: buckle1.jpg]

[Image: mini-IMG_2938.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
jvrjenivs , you are a talented Lad alright , I cant wait to see the Parma whaen its finished mate .

Well Done .

Julius . Big Grin
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Jerjen. I have been looking at your strigils and yes they would look great with handles fitted, however I am trying to remember where it was I was given some info' on a strigil. This one had a handle that had a longer piece of metal that just bent around and was soldered at the area of the curve of the scrapper, the actual shape of the metal was where the fingers went thro' as if the metal went over the back of the fingers.
I did a one of this type some years ago for a museum so I shall see if I still have pictures of it and get it to you.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:jvrjenivs , you are a talented Lad alright , I cant wait to see the Parma whaen its finished mate .

Thanks you much for your words. I'll show pictures when finished, for sure.

Brian, I know what you mean, but I was commissioned to make it this way. To let them choose which one would be best I made 2 of which I wasn't happy, so I ended up with 5.

Anyway, here is a picture of one made by fellow RAT member Hephestus/ Vincenzo Pastorelli, which shows the feature you mention. Maybe I'll do one like that next time.
[Image: StrigilisA1.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jerjen. That strigil is very similar to the one I made some time ago
Brian Stobbs
Good job Jerjen!

you are a busy bee you put me to shame.......I'm still working on my shield...

Deb
Deborah. That is very true Jerjen is a busy bee however like most young guys, he has his mum to make his Dinner, he has his mum to do his washing, he has his mum to do the ironing, he has his mum to clean the house, so this is how maybe he has all the time in the world to make all these things you see what I mean.!!!!
Brian Stobbs
Ah, I'm Mum here, I see where I'm going wrong.......
Smile
Deb
And I just finished the round shield. (and indeed I've some more spare time as I'm having holydays now and nothing else to do then working on these.

[Image: IMG_3027.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jerjen. There is an old saying in English, "He lives the life of Reily he has nothing to do and all day to do it in lucky guy" but then as you know I also do so why not enjoy it ( happy holidays )
Brian Stobbs
Good job, Jurjen! The brass shield rim has turned out very well. I really like the scrapers. Now, if I ever get around to building that bathhouse .......
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
And the strap end and my first try stiffener of my new Late Roman belt (where the buckle shown above is also for)
Now I only have to go and get me some new leather.

[Image: IMG_3028.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
my new thaex (gladiator) parmula, made of 3 layers of 3mm plywood strips (5 cm width) glued together (with modern glue, unfortunately). I made a special press for this one, using some scrap wood I had lying around in my workshop. For now I´m still working on the inner layer.

[Image: IMG_3029.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3030.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3031.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
And the parmula with linnen cover and painting of a Griffons head. Now I only have to add a edge and the handle to finish this one.

[Image: 25072009503.jpg]

[Image: 25072009502.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Projects Andy 9 2,597 06-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Andy
  Weekend Projects Primvs Pavlvs 3 1,249 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs