Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelta
Plz move this topic to Greek reconstruction!

For the lenght it's quite like yours, it's not a perfect dome, it's quite like a PRINGLES :lol:
Non auro sed ferro recuperanda est patria
Nulla alia gens tanta mole cladis obruta esset
[Image: vasolib30240105up4.jpg]

Francesco Saverio Quatrano
[Image: pipelta.jpg]

finished

I would have thought that a "pelta" would have been in the Greek recreation forum. But I guess it could also be used in the Early Roman times and by allies.
Nice work!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I've opened this topic when the Greek reconstruction section wasn't created!

Quote:Plz move this topic to Greek reconstruction!
moved as requested.

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26908">viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26908<!-- l
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Very nice work! Have you tested it's durability/functionality as a shield? Can it stand a hit from a javelin or an arrow? When we think about combat in the classical period, I would Image a peltast (as a support unit) would be most of the time confronted by another peltast or an archer, as their supreme mobility would be most of the time sufficient to escape a direct attack from a hoplite.

A colleague of me from our group has finished his pelta as well, so I was considering showing it as well. Once I get the pictures, of course Smile
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Very nice work there, though I was always under the impression that a Pelta would be best reconstructed from some kind of wickerwork, covered with rawhide or leather.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
I have seen and held reconstructions of both types, but I am not sure that we have any evidence, which would without question exclude one or the other. I remember seeing a painting with a porpax - antilabe construction similar to an Aspis and the back side seems to be woold or other kind of cloth. No wickerwork evidence there. But I would definitely prefer rawhide or leather cover, too.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Actually there is plenty of evidence for wicker. But it's much harder to make. And if you cover both sides with leather,then in a vase painting it looks like solid wood. I have also seen porpakes,but they are considerably few compared to just leather stripes like in this pelta.
I have gathered wicker this summer for a pelta,but never had the time to even clean them!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Yes there is evidence of wicker peltas, of course! What I meant is that there is no sufficient evidence that would exclude one or the other type. So most likely, both styles were used. My friend's Pelta is using the leather stripes as well. No need to mount bronze part when we want to keep the shield light Wink
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
OK, the difficulty in wicker construction was what kept me from trieing to construct a Pelta myself.
And with wicker not only the construction but also the type of wood of the wicker cant be hard to decide upon.

Guess I will try a wooden flat pelta with rawhide cover as a first try for my Thrakian Peltatst impression.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Quote:Very nice work! Have you tested it's durability/functionality as a shield? Can it stand a hit from a javelin or an arrow? When we think about combat in the classical period, I would Image a peltast (as a support unit) would be most of the time confronted by another peltast or an archer, as their supreme mobility would be most of the time sufficient to escape a direct attack from a hoplite.

A colleague of me from our group has finished his pelta as well, so I was considering showing it as well. Once I get the pictures, of course Smile

Not yet! there are showers everyday :? and now I haven't a real javeline or a spear point to use