Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ticonderoga 2010
Friends,
One of the best living history sites in North America, Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain in upstate NY, is looking to put on a Classical time line event. That is to say, the time line would start in 500 BC and run to 500 AD.

For those who have not been to Fort Ti, it is 300+ acres of pristine old-growth woodlands surrounding the remnants of the 17th and 18th century French castle and French, British and American outworks. For reenactors, there are 150 yards of palisaded wall and several battlefields.

The Fort is interested in a full educational program, with interpreted camps and lectures. In addition, I would expect that we could arrange needle felt areas, some patrol scenarios, and some serious immersion--the Fort has been very gracious in supporting immersion events for other periods in the past. Most of the staff are, or have been, reenactors, and they are happy to support us if we support their educational programs.

It is one of my favorite sites int he world, and I'm delighted that the staff are willing to have a Classical program. Next question--any interest out there? if successful, this would be an annual event, with a big audience and a great deal of media attention--at least, that's how all their other events work. I'd like to use it as a platform to get North Americans eager for Marathon in 2011--but I'd be happy to see Roman and non-Rom,an impressions as well.

Any takers? Please write in on this list or hit me with a PM.

Thanks!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
There just might be some interest here in the NE US and eastern Canada - Legio III Cyrenaica, Legion XXIV, Legio IIII Flavia, Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix, etc. What are the Fort Ti people thinking of for dates in 2010? There are also could be some interest from Celtic folks in New England and/or Canada. There was an ancient Greek group in the New York City area, but we haven't heard from them in a fairly long while.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Sounds awesome!

Would you have to be a member of a reenactment group to participate as such?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan--this gets to the heart of what is going to have to happen, at least in North America, to make "events" like we have in otherperiods a reality.

The short answer is "no."

But--eventually, you'll have to have insurance. It has to be insurance that is recognized by other reenactors and by sites. Most people get theirs through the LHA (living history association) but there are other choices, including a personal liability policy.

My unit insurance doesn't insure us against the harm we inflict on each other--that's a matter of personal responsibility, because we're volunteers. But if the spearhead on your dory goes flying into the crown and hurts someone--that's a whole different ball of wax.

Insurance is the main reason to belong to a unit. But there are others--community, help with research, etc. And once people have events to share, there's hierarchy--it is unavoidable--and shared stuff like drill and camp life.

Where do you live? Send me a PM.
I spoke today to Mark Tully at Fort Ticonderoga and this event has the Fort's blessing, if there are reenactors who want to participate. The dates are Oct 2-3 2010.

The event would be a "Classical Only" time line covering the period 500 BC to 500 AD. Each unit--perhaps each "period" within that 1000 years--would be encouraged to put on a public demonstration of tactics and "drill." In addition, some patrol and encounter immersion will probably be held on the site's 1000+ acres of near-virgin woodland.

As I am NOT a Roman reenactor (yet) I'd appreciate contact from some senior Roman reenacting leaders to guide me on what groups are out there--and whether there are Gaul, Pict, or Germanic impressions, as well.

On Saturday PM, we will put on a public demonstration (hopefully all together) themed on "From the Classical to the Neo-Classical" for the Friends of Fort Ticonderoga.

The site offers both period and non-period camping, as well as a 250 meter long log fortification, and one of the most breath-taking views in North America; a sixty acre battlefield for use under the public eye, and thousands of acres of woodland.

I'll ask again for members, or better yet, unit leaders, from groups that might be interested to contact me either via RAT or at [email protected]

Thanks! And please--I'm not looking to command anything--merely to organize an event. This is how we do it in 18th c. reenacting--and I have no intention of stepping on toes.
Christian, I'll give you a hand letting all the units in the area know about it.

Legion: TBD
Thanks Matt. And all help greatfully appreciated. ti wants an annual event. Seems to me like the NE North America could use such a thing..
I agree! And so far I've gotten good response from the western part of II AVG (also French'n'Indian guys).

Sounds like you're going to have a great time at a fun site. Its a pity its 2,000 miles away from where I live! There is a local reenactment event at a fort but its one less storied than Tigonderoga.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Any more information? I am the Optio for Legio III Cyrenaica, Cohort II, Pilus Prior Century and will be the liason for coordinating my Legion's participation in the Fort Ticonderoga Event. We are located in New England and New York, east of the Hudson. Of course, I will be sharing all that I find out with our Centurio and the rest of the Legion. We are not just legionary troops; we also have attached auxiliary infantry and archers/slingers/scouts.
The only down side is this event being scheduled for the same weekend as the Living History Association's Annual Timeline Event. We Romans are consistently popular at the Timeline. The LHA's date is firm.
However we have agreed that we will support and attend the Fort Ti event.
Quinton Johansen
Let me talk to Fort Ti this week and see if the Ti weekend can move.
I was looking at Fort Ticonderoga's schedule of events for 2010. I think, due to the very preliminary nature of this event, it is not yet on their calendar. I know I had mentioned the conflict with the Living History Association's Timeline, which is firmly scheduled for the weekend of October 2 & 3, 2010. My leigon, Legio III Cyrenaica, normally is there. It looks like the Fort has a seminar on the American Revolution the weekend before (September 25 & 26, 2010) and WE, in Legio III, have a committment the 2nd weekend of October (Columbus Day weekend) on Sunday October 10, 2010 - the City of Providence, RI Columbus Day Parade - for which we get money!

I am going to mention this event again at our next LHA Board meeting. It would be awesome, despite the conflict, to get a decent showing of Ancient reenactors at Fort Ti. The 500 BC to AD 500 gives a fair scope for Greeks, Romans, Celts, Germans and others whom we would have inteacted with - Parthians, Persians, Carthaginians, etc.

I'll be keeping an eye on things on RAT; I will be the coordinator of any participation by Legio III Cyrenaica.
Quinton Johansen
Fort Ticonderoga has gone through a major reorganization of staff since I suggested this event. All three of the staff who liked the idea are gone now--and I have yet to get an answer from the new Living History coordinator. It may be that the whole event has dropped off their radar and we're out an event--I am writing this because I feel it is only fair (after three unanswered e-mails) to you guys to say that there's clearly a problem.

On the other hand, it may simply be winter and mid-shake-up and I may have an answer in a week or two. However, Fort Ti is NOT holding their usual spring reenactor conference, for example, so I have some fears....

Anyway, I will get an answer as soon as I can. And if the Fort Ti venue fails, I'll be looking at other venues for 2011--other historical site venues, I mean. We doing Ft George at a fairly large scale this summer for Rev War--the site could handle a huge event. There's others, too.
One of our guys from Legio III Cyrenaica - who does F&I and Rev War mentioned the Crown Point State Historic Site, Crown Point, NY - which is also on Lake Champlain. The fort structures there (even though in a ruined state) are more "Roman" looking than those at Fort Ti., with its star-shapped fort and cannon. My Centurio also echoed his thoughts and has been to the site.
They do have a couple encampments for the period they cover and seem to encoourage reenactors to visit and camp as long as they stay in period attire.
Of course, that does not mean that they would be open to going outside their time period to embrace us Ancient world reenactors --- but, after all France and England looked to Ancient Greece and Rome for many of their military traditions!
I've looked them up on the internet. They might be worth pursuing.
http://www.lakechamplainregion.com/cphistoricsite/
and other sites.
Quinton Johansen
That actually looks like a pretty cool site.

A bit more on it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Crown_Point