Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inscriptions from Pisidian Antioch
Quote:The inscription reads: ... ... CVM.SIGNIS.DEDIT
Aha -- looked to me like "RED..", but I can see how it could really be a "DEDIT".
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Since my original pic is in higher resolution, I could definitely see the entire word (see attached). Do you have an idea what the "V" after the legion's number stands for?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:Do you have an idea what the "V" after the legion's number stands for?
I did wonder about that, actually. But there's clearly a huge chunk missing from the right hand side, so it's anybody's guess what might've been there. As far as I can see, there is no other inscription mentioning legion XXIIII, so we can't say (a) if it had a title and (b) what that title might've been (Victoria or whatever). Sorry.
Quote:Great analysis!

The inscription reads:

L.CALPVRNIVS.
TRIB.LEG.XXIIII V
CVM.SIGNIS.DEDIT

I'm not sure that the second line indicates that he served in a legio XXIIII. The terminology 'tribunus legionis [Number]' is pretty rare in early inscriptions. There are only a handful of examples from the Augustan period, and none from triumviral era inscriptions (or even from inscriptions datable to the early or mid Augustan period) that I'm aware of: the "militum" is almost always attached. I'd be more inclined to read the second line as "trib(unus) leg(ionis) XXII, II u[(ir) - - -]", particularly as there seems to be a gap between the second and third vertical strokes of the "IIII". This would still make the inscription pretty early, from before the creation of XXII Primigenia under Caligula (given the fact that this is an Eastern officer, he almost certainly served in Legio XXII (Deiotariana) in Egypt).

It does seem to have slipped through the net though, as it's not in PME either (or at least, in the list of officers of either Legio XXII in volume VI).

Blue skies

Tom

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't clear from the above, "IIuir" indicates the municipal post of duouir, generally the start of the municipal cursus (further edit: sorry, this is probably over explaining things - it's late, and I'm not thinking straight Smile ). It was quite common in this period for prominent equestrians in the Eastern provinces to hold a military tribunate, in a legion stationed in the East, before returning to municipal life.
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
I think you are right - there seems to be the same dividing mark between XXII and II as it is between TRIB, LEG, and XXII. Besides, there seems to be a gap between the stroke above XXII and II.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:I'd be more inclined to read the second line as "trib(unus) leg(ionis) XXII, II u[(ir) - - -]", particularly as there seems to be a gap between the second and third vertical strokes of the "IIII".
Nice idea, Tom. I was fooled by the fact that the superscript bar seems to cover all four IIII.
But there is an area of damage in the middle which makes it ambiguous, and your reading is certainly more elegant. (Also, we're in the right area for legio XXII.)
Quote:
popularis:3voboc1a Wrote:I'd be more inclined to read the second line as "trib(unus) leg(ionis) XXII, II u[(ir) - - -]", particularly as there seems to be a gap between the second and third vertical strokes of the "IIII".
Nice idea, Tom. I was fooled by the fact that the superscript bar seems to cover all four IIII.
But there is an area of damage in the middle which makes it ambiguous, and your reading is certainly more elegant. (Also, we're in the right area for legio XXII.)

Thanks! I'm surprised that this inscription doesn't seem to have been published, especially given Devijver's special interest in Eastern officers. When I get some libary time later in the week I'll have a check in recent AE volumes, just in case it's in there.

Quote:I think you are right - there seems to be the same dividing mark between XXII and II as it is between TRIB, LEG, and XXII. Besides, there seems to be a gap between the stroke above XXII and II.

Now that's some good eyesight to spot the interpunct! There's a lot of damage in that area (unfortuantely).

I'm rather relived about this, actually. I don't want to read about any new officers from the Triumviral or Augustan periods before October, when I submit my thesis Smile

blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]