Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Underwear How To
I did a RAT search but did not find such a specific topic.

I was wondering if anyone has any sizes, shapes, or other information, pictures etc. that can be provided since I would like to make a pair.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Doc, I'm not sure there is a clear consensus on exactly what that garment looked like, but one view is that it is like that which the gladiators wore, less the fringe and decoration. Essentially, it's an isosceles triangle of fabric, tied in the front by the corners, with the other angle hanging down in the back. This free end is brought up between the legs, tucked up behind the tied "waistband", and then hangs down on the outside of the front. Think of an AmerIndian breechclout, but in a triangle instead of a long rectangle, and you should get the idea.

Did regular people wear that? Don't know. What do I wear? I'm not sayin', Big Boy.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
There is a short, but very interesting, section on this in the new Graham Sumner book. (Roman military dress) and I don't want to copy that totally on here. It's a great book and worth reading anyhow.

But in short we know that soldiers could use them, as they are listed on one of the Vindolanda writing tablets. But again, that's all the reverence, so maybe just an undertunic (subuclae) was more common. And there is a possible depiction of such a short from Germany, which is in that book, which looks to me as just a long strip of cloth (maybe about 15 cm width and 3 to 4 meters long (I should do a reproduction to find the proper length)) which has the 2 ends hanging on the front.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen

Do you mean picture 132 on page 190 (undergarments) in chapter 6 "Other garments"?
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Yes, that's the one, Garrelt.
ALA I BATAVORUM
A loincloth or subligaculum is no problem to wear under a tunic.
Wearing it under a pair of tight fitting trousers is nut so comfortable due to the tying knot and the left over cloth.

Maybe something like the "bikini" slip was worn under a pair of trousers. :lol:
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:A loincloth or subligaculum is no problem to wear under a tunic.
Wearing it under a pair of tight fitting trousers is nut so comfortable due to the tying knot and the left over cloth.

Maybe something like the "bikini" slip was worn under a pair of trousers. :lol:

Yeah, but would a regular soldier have worn a pair of trousers? Anyway, spoken about those Bikini, here some from Queen street and Shadwell, London, now in the Museum of London. But those are small in size and thus assigned to young girls (probably acrobatic dancers). I wouldn't suggest those for military use.

[Image: 21052009028.jpg]

[Image: 21052009030.jpg]

And of course a soldier always wore his Caligae below his tunic. Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Yeah, but would a regular soldier have worn a pair of trousers?

Trousers yes/no.
I think that that is depending on the climate of the region where a soldier was stationed and what his task was.

Quote:And of course a soldier always wore his Caligae below his tunic. Big Grin
Heard that more than once , butt still I thought they were wearing Lycra or Spandex :?

What I want to say is:
When you have proof of actual underwear, wear it when you know it can become visible and make it comfortable for yourself.
Even Otzi wore a deerskin loincloth.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Jurgen,

I purchased the new book you referred to. However, I am in Italy and the book has yet to arrive to the US where I live. I figured since I do not have any of my tools and bits to make anything at this point, I thought that something simple can be made.

That is why I was wondering if there are any pictures of reconstructions that have been done that illustrate possibly the shape and mode of wear.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
As you want for something simply to make, I would suggest just look in the 'gladiator combat sports' subforum. There is a topic on the subligaculum construction there, although I think you can also do with a long strip of 15 cm width cloth (as I stated before) which is simply fold in the lengt, whereafter the so created loop is taken between your legs from the back, and the 2 ends are taken in the loop and then hanging down in the front.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Wearing it under a pair of tight fitting trousers is nut so comfortable due to the tying knot and the left over cloth.
Today's award for best slip-of-the-keyboard goes to Garrelt. :wink:
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
David

See what you mean :oops: .
Next time I will put on my reading glasses :wink:
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Jurgen,

Thanks for the hint. I will take a look at the subforum you suggested.

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  underwear michael parkin 2 920 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Last Post: 1493541
  Roman underwear Doc 6 4,789 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Doc