Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about rocks?
Found this today while at the river. I was waiting on my cousin who was collecting clay... passing the time by throwing some rocks.. and nearly threw this one.

[Image: What_is_it__by_Dogote.jpg]

[Image: What_is_it_fou_by_Dogote.jpg]

anyone know what it might be? sorry for the size being so large, but the details are what attracted me. looking at it from a distance its just an ugly ruddy rock.
Quote:looking at it from a distance its just an ugly ruddy rock.
Still looks pretty ugly. Why d'you think it might be interesting? (I'm obviously missing something.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Whats the green stuff?
Copper ore? River slime?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
its some kind of ore. i thought it was slime actually. it had snails all over it.

i dunno. thought it was interesting. i'm asking around in a few different places because you never know who might know about this kind of thing Smile
Daub it with vinegar, and give the green part a buff. If it shines up like copper, well, you have your answer. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I do recall a (this old chesnut again) documentary on the old Celto-Roman copper mines, and I think the ore is that green colour. Maybe, possibly, but don't take my word for it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
wondering what i would do with a huge hunk of copper ore and why it would be in the Apalachicola river.... Native American trade routes? supposedly there was an island in the middle of the river inhabited by a tribe, but has since been flooded when the dam was built.
Did you find this down by the mouth or up in the Chatahootchee area? Wonder if it may have been from old barge traffic into Alabama and Georgia.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
i dont know how familiar you are with the area, but it was just beyond the I-10 bridge, there's a boat launch there, one among many hidden out in the woods i'm sure, but the bridge was in sight of where we were.
i'm wondering if one of the local museums would know anything in regards to it. of all the rocks i've found this is the most interesting to me Tongue
You might try www.mosaicrocks.com They deal in all types and you might find a match on their pages.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
There are no green rocks in my area (limestone area...), but I would suggest olivine, that one is volvanic, so the "matrix" stone usually has bubbles inside.

A quick search on Google seemed to confirm this:

Quote:The Piedmont, which literally means
“foothill,” serves as a geologic transitional
zone between the Blue Ridge and Coastal
Plain Provinces. With a combination of
igneous and metamorphic rocks
, it resembles
the geology of the Blue Ridge
Province and starkly contrasts with the sedimentary
formations found in the Coastal
Plain Province.

[url:niqcxsp9]http://www1.gadnr.org/greenspace/c_pdfs/21ciCh3Pied001.pdf[/url]
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Ave et salutatio:

Rocks are hard and the have a tendency to fracture skulls when bounced off someone's head...

You did want to know about rocks, didn't you?........... :lol:

Gaius Octavius Drusus
Michael Garrity
Quote:Ave et salutatio:

Rocks are hard and the have a tendency to fracture skulls when bounced off someone's head...

You did want to know about rocks, didn't you?........... :lol:

Gaius Octavius Drusus

shall we test that theory? stand over there while i find something to launch it! :twisted: