Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying kites?
While looking for something unrelated I came across this image:
[Image: KiteFlying.jpg]
It claims to be 4th century B.C. and depicts a Greek girl flying a kite. Presumably this image was taken from a mosaic or vase or something, but the website doesn't say.

I had never heard that ancient Europeans knew anything of aerodynamics such as this, although I understand that kite flying has been going on in China for thousands of years. Doing some more internet searching I have seen claims that Roman troops used military banners as kites. No sources were listed, so I'm dubious.

Does anyone know if kite flying was practiced by ancient Greeks or Romans?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Mlahanas is cool, he has some fringe theories and items, but also comes up with complete surprises. Greek vase painting is a rich source for ancient leisure games, I found depictions of yoyos, swings, one-wheeler toys (the first application of the principle?), spinning, pickaback, football and basketball games etc.

An excellent source is Raimund Wünsche, Florian Knauß (ed.): Lockender Lorbeer. Sport und Spiel in der Antike, Staatliche Antikensammlungen München 2004. Unfortunately, the book is vast and has no index so I could not find anything on kites.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Yes, it is an interesting site but I wish there were sources listed. I don't necessarily disbelieve something with no sources, but I think it's nice to be able to check the primary source material for more information.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Yes, it is an interesting site but I wish there were sources listed. I don't necessarily disbelieve something with no sources, but I think it's nice to be able to check the primary source material for more information.

I wrote yesterday Mr Lahanas, no reply yet. From the blueish background it looks like lifted from LacusCurtius, but swift search did not yield any reference to a flying kite there. There is nothing in my ancient sports books, either, but anyway a search in vase painting catalogues might prove more fruitful.

From my Wikipedia experience, I have acquired the habit of having new, but unsourced information on stand-by, that is taking neutrally note of it, but not accepting it as my view and most certainly not spreading it without clear reservations. The greatest Chinese proverb I heard of is if you believe anything in books (and by extension any written source), better don't read any books at all. Wise folks. :mrgreen:
Found this excerpt:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YXUPAA ... fier&hl=es
Interesting. A "small fluttering pennant." Thanks for the info!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Interesting. A "small fluttering pennant." Thanks for the info!

To be sure, this maintains Lynn White, a medieval historian of immense influence who by denying that the ancients knew and used water-powered stone saw mills (he interpreted the evidence in Ausonius' 370s Mosella forcefully as 10th cenury amendment) was instrumental in hampering progress in the field of ancient technology for several decades. It is noteworthy that he does not give a cite a reference for his interpretation as pennant.