Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpow
Carpow was founded during the final years of the reign of Septimius Severus; is there any clue about the date of its evacuation?

(Something tells me Duncan knows this.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:(Something tells me Duncan knows this.)
Big Grin Two mint condition coins of AD 202/3 and a fragmentary building inscription naming Caracalla as sole emperor (probably), combined with the literary evidence that Caracalla was not keen on staying in Scotland! (The fortress is single period, so no earlier Flavian or Antonine material to contaminate the picture.)

You can access the report here (PDF); pp. 569-571 for summary.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Two mint condition coins of AD 202/3 and a fragmentary building inscription naming Caracalla as sole emperor (probably), combined with the literary evidence that Caracalla was not keen on staying in Scotland!
Exactly what I needed! Severus' occupation of southern Scotland probably did not last after his death in 211.

(I am writing a little piece about the "common error" that the Roman Empire reached its greatest extent under Trajan; it was of course under Severus, who added Mesopotamia and the Limes Tripolitanus. Scotland is irrelevant to my point.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carpow lorica squamata fragments Ross Cowan 5 2,363 04-30-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan