Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouts for the Legion
Ave!
Being a new member here, I thought the best way to introduce myself was to ask a question.
Several times in my research of the Roman Armies on campaign, I come across references to scouts traversing the area before the army. I was just wanting to know if these were a specially trained Army unit, Auxiliaries from the region, or just locals in the pay of the Legion Commander.

Thanks!
Keith Bragg/Longhunter
Keith Bragg/Longhunter
I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.Gaius Julius Caesar
Hi Keith,
Quote:Ave!
Being a new member here, I thought the best way to introduce myself was to ask a question.
Welcome. Asking questions is always a good thing here.
The next best thing however is to add your real (first) name to your signature. It's a forum rule. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Welcome Keith Smile
Hm, i believe that Cavalry (from a legion, Auxilary-alae or Cohors equitata) done this task in campaign. They can quickly reach their own army if an enemy army is advancing.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
It's often been mentioned on this board before, but probably your best start would be the book Exploratio: Military and Political Intelligence in the Roman World by Austin and Rankov. They mention the procursatores - scouts sent out ahead of the army on the march, and exploratores (one of whom they identify on Trajan's Column IIRC), who were more wide-ranging.

I don't know whether the procursatores are suggested as an actual independent body of troops, or just a position held by members of the legion cavalry, but the exploratores seem to have been a select and particular group. There are units of them attested at some of the northern British forts, and presumably elsewhere too.

There's a preview on Google Books, but buy or borrow it if you get the chance:

[url:2wncbmi6]http://books.google.com/books?id=1M6IEEMDKUcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=exploratio[/url]

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Type "Frumentarii" into Google too. They weren't scouts, but they're relevant here. They kept an eye on things.
I thank you all for your help, this was most informative!
Keith Bragg/Longhunter
I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.Gaius Julius Caesar