Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agricola\'s Northern Campaigns
Finally a map with a landmark and the camp..... :?
Seems they never included the latest development of the area or show the railline :?
Ah well, I have plenty of pictures of the Wall around Rome, guess that will do! :roll: Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Finally a map with a landmark and the camp..... :?
Seems they never included the latest development of the area or show the railline :?
To be fair, Byron, the plan was probably drawn in the 1960s (or even 1950s) after St Joseph found the camp from the air. (He died in 1994, so the plan is at least that old. Sorry.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Bu^^^^er! Every modern map I have gives a location, but nothing exact..... Sad
Still, that farm name must still be there! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Bu^^^^er! Every modern map I have gives a location, but nothing exact..... Sad
Grid reference for the NE corner is seemingly NO 8340 9949. Punch that into your sat nav, Byron! Smile
I'll try, not sure if it has that facility.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Bu^^^^er! Every modern map I have gives a location, but nothing exact..... Sad
Here's the map extract from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map web site. Not great, but maybe you can find that woodland area on foot? Next time you're on Peterculter golf course, smack a long drive to the NW ... Big Grin
Awesome, that should do it! Thanks I'll give it a shot!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Awesome, that should do it! Thanks I'll give it a shot!
Don't get too excited, Byron. :| I think it's just a scrappy length of bank and ditch running along the side of the woodland. But let us know if you ever find it.
Just scan the P & J for 'trespasser shot on farmland'! That will tell all imagine!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Just scan the P & J for 'trespasser shot on farmland'! That will tell all imagine!

Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall you can't actually 'trespass' in Scotland, although bullets (and shot) still have the same effect, so not much consolation if you end up deadificated. Keeping to the edge of the field is always a good strategy for not attracting indignant gunfire.

You can't miss the bank and ditch as there's a ruddy great big mobile phone mast right next to it and the corner of the camp coincides with a small burn.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Ah-ha! A real clue! Thanks Mike, that will help a lot. I think I have seen it from a distance! Smile 2ye5j9oe]The mast that is!)[/size]
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ah-ha! A real clue!
Oh, thanks a lot, Byron! :wink: I give you the a.p. transcript, the grid reference, and the OS map extract. Bishop comes up with a phone mast and suddenly that's the real clue! :lol: :lol: Big Grin
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2wxqin6o Wrote:Ah-ha! A real clue!
Oh, thanks a lot, Byron! :wink: I give you the a.p. transcript, the grid reference, and the OS map extract. Bishop comes up with a phone mast and suddenly that's the real clue! :lol: :lol: Big Grin

Sorry, my head works in mysterious ways..... :oops: :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Sorry, my head works in mysterious ways..... :oops: :oops:
Just kidding -- post a picture of that phone mast for us! Big Grin
No probs! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army under Agricola Chris Brown 5 1,907 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Last Post: wengazi
  Agricola\'s Army in Scotland and Mons Graupius questions? Marcus Cassius LegioXIV 6 2,738 05-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Last Post: sulla felix
  Agricola in Britain Anonymous 3 1,667 01-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Anonymous