Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between MISSICIUS and VETERANUS ?
Avete omnes,<br>
<br>
here in Asciburgium have been found in former times - among others - two tombstones referring to retired soldiers. One inscription belongs to a 'MISSICIVS.EX.COH.SILAVCIENS' - thus to a man who had belonged to an auxiliary infantry unit and who had received the 'missio honesta' after 25 years of service.<br>
<br>
The second stone is set by a 'VETERANVS.LEG.II.AVG' - thus after my knowledge by a man who had received 'missio honesta' after 20 years service as legionary who had to keep himself ready for 5 years 'sub vexillum' as a veteran (or 16 years service / 4 years veteranship as temporary consequence of the concessions made by Germanicus to the uprising legions in 14 AD).<br>
<br>
So my questions are, did there exist a legal difference between the two types of retirement? Was the designation for example dependent of the type of unit the man belonged to (legion / auxiliary unit) or was it just a question of word choice preferred by the stone cutter? Did a man name himself yet 'veteran' also when the 5 or 4 years of official veteranship had passed? And does the word 'EX' play any key role in this connection?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance - Uwe<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 2/28/05 3:25 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe
Veteranus: soldier discharged 'honesta missione', honourable discharge for fullfilment of service.<br>
Missicius: veteranus who's still in the vexillum veteranorum. In short, a missicius is always a veteranus, but a veteranus isn't always a missicius. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
... so a missicius is a veteranus who has not yet received 'honesta missione'?<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Nope, as far as I know a miles became a veteranus on getting 'honesta missione' and was then retained for four/five years in the reserve as a missicius. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine