Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it a roman sword or a celtic one?
Quote:I don't know very well early medieval/ irish swords, but were them so short (66 cm) and with a so triangular point ? All those I know are quite longer and with a different point.

Yes.

The longest one in the first picture is 66cm long in total.
[attachment=1:2ixl47ej]<!-- ia1 34_lagore_1_2.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:2ixl47ej]

In the second image, the longest sword (second from left) is only 62cm in total and is (to my eye) very similar in form to the sword in question.
[attachment=0:2ixl47ej]<!-- ia0 34_lagore_2_1.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2ixl47ej]
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
very interesting, thank you.
What kind of swords are those? early medieval britannic?
If possible, please let me know details of that book.

Thanks , Medicus Matt.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Quote:very interesting, thank you.
What kind of swords are those? early medieval britannic?
If possible, please let me know details of that book.

Thanks , Medicus Matt.

They're all examples of early medieval (5th-7th century AD) Irish weapons. The first picture is of finds from the Lagore Crannog (see "Lagore Crannog:An Irish Royal Residence..." by Hugh Hencken. RIA Proceedings. 1950).

The second is taken from Rynne's "A Classification of Pre-Viking Iron Irish Swords.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

I might add that swords made in the Sudan / Ethiopia from about 1700 to the present day resemble this very closely, and can be bought on the 'ethnic weapons' market for around £200.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Bingo! I've seen an african sword before like that, I thought it looked very medieval. It was complete mind you!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Bingo! I've seen an african sword before like that, I thought it looked very medieval. It was complete mind you!

With those sort of scabbard and suspension fittings? I realise that the sword and the fittings might well come from entirely different sources but it'd be interesting if this style of equipment was being manufactured in Africa in comparatively recent times.

My own experience with Sudanese swords is that they tend to be either double edged, quillioned but with a very distinct taper to a point or single edged, curved blades. I've not seen ones that flare out like this one.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote: I've not seen ones that flare out like this one.
I have almost the some opinion. Moreover, I would not be so sure it's a fake; could be but not for sure.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
The Sudanese 'kaskara' and Tuareg 'takouba', are straight bladed swords, but the blades do not have a diamond cross-section, the blades taper, they don't have parallel edges, and are usually multiply fullered. The Masai 'seme' does have a somewhat similar tip to the one shown, but semes are very short swords and also don't have a diamond cross-section.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
The rest is hazy, but the blade definately was tapered. I found it rather distateful to be honest, which is why it came back to mind....I prefer my swords to be either parellel, leaf shaped, or to start wide at the hilt with minimal taper to the point! But I recal an african providence mentionedon the label, which makes me think it was for sale in a shop, somewhere.... :| I can often be wrong, but not always. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel