Pictures kalkriese event 14-06-09
Here are some pictures taken during the Kalkriese event on 14-06-09
Maarten
Sorry forgot my real name in my post, so here it is,

Regards,

Maarten
Maarten
Hallo Maarten Big Grin
The first and third pic shows members of Cohors II Praetoria from Italy, the second pics shows them together with our Legio XI.
I believe that the second pic was taken during sunday morning exercises, before we fought against 60 kids, which have a lot of fun throwing pila at our Testudo and later, overran our shieldwall.........
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Great looking guys! Good to see a group out in the "real" location, bringing history to people's minds.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Good pictures again! What were the pila points made of?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hallo Maarten Big Grin
The first and third pic shows members of Cohors II Praetoria from Italy, the second pics shows them together with our Legio XI.
I believe that the second pic was taken during sunday morning exercises, before we fought against 60 kids, which have a lot of fun throwing pila at our Testudo and later, overran our shieldwall.........

Yes that's right!! The pics were taken on sunday morning.

Regards,
Maarten
Quote:Good pictures again! What were the pila points made of?

I think the pila points were made of the foam you use under a wooden floor to dampen the noise. Kids collected the broken points and after the event was over you could find these points all over the park.
Maarten
Those Pila were handmade by a modeller under my supervison. It follows our experiences since Kalkriese 2005, where we used them for the first time. For this year we had a new model called "Mod 09" of which 200 pila and ca. 1600 "shanks" were delivered. I was ask by someone, how it could be that germanics build weapons for the romans? I said, that at least we want to be sure with what we are attacked with.

Along with dummy javelins and rocks it was only possible to display ancient warefare with the numerous missle weapons in the air.
In another thread I´m soon going to explain how these dummies were build.

cheers

ghandi
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
Yeah, those pila looking pretty good, but with attached shanks, they fly like bricks! Most of the legionarys in our group marched in with "complete" pila and removed the shanks immidiatly before they throw them :wink:

@ Demetrius
Yes, this Praetorians have really nice equipment, shiny tinned helmets and silvered (tinned?) swords and belts. They look like the Elite-Soldiers of the ancient time, especially besides some battered and rusty Legionarys Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures from 9 AD Event in Minnesota kevair464 8 1,859 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Last Post: John M McDermott
  Shield for the historic event in Kalkriese:Teutoburgo. Marivs Virginivs Ariolis 3 1,474 06-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Last Post: hephestus