Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement of Eburones found at Lanaken, Belgium
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/992/Wetens ... aken.dhtml

I'm sorry, only in Dutch. Anyone heard of this? It's the first time I see it.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
The newspaper report claims 'the first settlement of the Eburones'. However, as the remains date to the 22nd and 3rd c. AD, I doubt if one can still speak of the Eburones at such a late date.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The newspaper report claims 'the first settlement of the Eburones'. However, as the remains date to the 22nd and 3rd c. AD, I doubt if one can still speak of the Eburones at such a late date.

Especially in these days of time travel to the future, eh? :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There are two strata, actually: there are four wells and a farm from the 2nd and 3rd centuries, when this area was at its most prosperous, and -on the same site- the remains of a late Iron Age site, which might be termed Eburonian. This settlement seems pretty normal for the Low Countries: a couple of farms surrounded by minor buildings.

Actually, there is a third stratum: on top of the two agricultural sites, the archaeologists excavated the remains of a WW2 bomber!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Also about this subject.

http://www.archeonet.be/?p=7201#more-7201
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
What precisely is the recess with the distinct charred remains? I looks like a pipe as oppsed to a ditch.....
I see julius Caesar mentioned?
Any translation?

Interesting find, Sandrus!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am part of a group called the Tungrians and we are from the lake district and a bit further north and we are mainly based at Vindolanda(they built the first fort there in around 80's AD).Not Housesteads which they built and where based.Vercovicium supposedly in latin translates as'The fort of the goodfighters.Anyway theres abit of a theory that the Tungrians took in the shattered remains of the Eburones and then really became the Tungrians.Also another theory is that York ( Eboracum)is something to do with the Tungrians/Eburones.
Martin Marriott

Væ, puto deus fio ("Dammit; I think I am becoming a god").
Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sabinus\' and Cotta\'s 15 cohorts destroyed by Eburones JeffF 4 2,131 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Last Post: JeffF