Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder pteryges pattern
Salvete,

Only 3 exams to go so it's time I start thinking about working at the pteryges for my subarmalis. I've been looking around here, searching topics for a good method/pattern for the pteryges at the shoulders. Problem is, that in old topics, photobucket and other images do not show up anymore.

The pteryges should be detachable, which is easily achieved by attaching them on a loose piece of fabric (well, felt and linen) and then insert it between the two parts of the shoulder (see last picture at http://sander.grandtrunk.net/SandrvsCastvs ).

So, how did you make these pteryges? Did they fall nicely as they should? What are your experiences?
(pictures would be extremely helpful Smile )

Gratias vobis ago!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
For what it's worth, when I do get around to making a pair, I plan on overlapping th pturges in each layer, then having the secnd layer on top do the same, if that makes anysense. So instead of the individual pturge in a layer laying flat beside each other, there will be a bit of staggering, to make the coverage fuller.

Thats the plan, which I don't mind sharing. If you look at the likes of the statues of Augustus, that is how his seem to be. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very good idea! Would you do this in a fan pattern?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
I have played with the idea in my head, ie a central one with the others working forward and back from there, also of decreasing length.
It is the sort of thing I will only know for sure from doing, but looking at some of the statues, it would seem to me there is a fan and overlap setup there..
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you ask nicely Tom (who copied my shoulder pattern) or I could show you and you could make an outline. You can bring paper and pencil to Xanten if you want :wink:

Unless you don't like the look of our pteryges and you're aiming for something else.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm aiming for a look in which the pteryges are close enough together and stay a bit together. If that's the case with your shoulder pattern, I'll ask nicely. Tongue
Thanks in advance, I will certainly bring pencil and paper. Smile

Byron, in which direction would you let them overlap? The back under the front or the front under the back?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Thats a good question, and I would say if I understand you correctly, the front ones would be under the back, but that is just my mental imagery. Reality could intervene! It would all depend on wheter there was a central starting point or if I just went from front to back as well.....will think on that when I've had a decent sleep!

I plan on using a combination of materials to give it the look and feel I imagine from the statues, hopefully I am not
off on a dead end. What seems an ideal material can often alter its characteristics when cut to a smaller dimension.
I think I have found the right stuff though. Will let you know when I ever get this off the ground.

You have a great start with your subarmalis, keep up the high standards!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... gustus.jpg

Like on that statue, you mean? Very clearly shown at his left shoulder.

I'm going to make mine of the same materials of my subarmalis; 2 layers of felt and two of linen. But err... how long should they be? For a regular soldier I mean? An inch or two above the elbow?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Thats just it, who knows? I plan on using buffalo hide which is very soft and supple, plus a fabric tassle, maybe.
I don't intend on making them too long though.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Are you planning on wearing them under hamata? Making them so they can be removed to wash the subarmalis? Is it going to rain next Thursday in Crete? How will you attach the fabric tassel/fringe to the leather?

Other questions come to mind, but -- 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I was thinking of a fabric border with the tassles as the bottom. Wont know for sure 100% until I try, to be honest.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I like the idea of your felt/linen subarmalis (which I am going to shamelessly copy for my hamata) and then continuing the materials for the pteryges. What are you planning for colors?
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Quote:until I try to be honest.
Hmm. Will that be an inner struggle for you, GJC? Land's sakes, man, I would never have guessed. Glad you're coming out of the closet at last. Whew! :lol: :roll:

I can never resist commenting on a misplaced modifier or an unintentional pun.
( "I knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith."
"Really!! what was his other leg's name?"
--Mary Poppins )

(don't kill me)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Que? No hables englaisis, senior!! :? lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Check out the Armae subarmalis in the Body Armour section - nice details? [url:34jl0v7j]http://www.armae.com/Zenglish/greek_and_roman/antiquity_frame.htm[/url]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF