Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GHOSTS OF THE LEGIONS
Dont know if any of you guys have seen this but i thought it was very good. It got the hair on my kneck standing up anyway. :wink:
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AQ6A3WWSc
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14LVhJ0b65k
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson

Hic nemo est quin Romam amet
Facinating .
What was seen does not sound like a "departed spirit " but more like recording of past event or a window in time opened so the past became visible . Why should a wagon have a ghost ?
They should set up a video camera in that basement . It could be a "window site' that re opens .
I would love to see video of actual Legionaries .
George Willi
I have known about this story of the plummer in this cellar in the City of York for many years now, however this is rather interesting to see this video of the story.
There is of course just a little change of comment between what is said by Harry the plummer and the archaeologist about the Lorica segmentata that these soldiers where wearing, it is where Harry tells us that each soldier was wearing LEATHER STRIPS and our archaeologist then mentions metal strips.
This is where I would ask were these soldiers wearing a segmentata that was made of leather for indeed it would appear so from the comments of Harry, so can we be learning a more interesting aspect about Segmentata from all of this.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Harry tells us that each soldier was wearing LEATHER STRIPS and our archaeologist then mentions metal strips.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Funny, that. Maybe we just want to hear of metal armour. Or Harry saw rusty armour?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
......or Harry is a fraud who subscribed to the old view that segmentata were made of leather, and is ignorant of more modern research... Smile D lol: :lol: :lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Were these Auxilary troops that wore the lighter cheaper kit?
Assuming he saw what he saw , we dont know what period this view is from . In the later empire when thing were falling apart , there may have been alot of ersatz gear issued in the outer provinces . In our time we have seen as governments or armies fall apart ,it starts to show on the troopers kit .
How often in studying Roman history does finding a new document or artifact challange what "we knew for a fact "?
George Willi
Ordovices,

I asked you 4 days ago by PM to add your real name to your signature. Please comply, it's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Paul. I don't think that Harry is a fraud indeed this is a story that has been around since 1953 when Harry first went into that cellar, I don't think he is an historian anyway so where he says leather that is just what I think he is telling us.

Infact if we return to the Trajan Collumn and look at some of the Segmentata shown there, are we not looking at exactly just what Harry is talking about and were there leather Segs' around in the time of Trajan for the styles shown there don't match the Corbridge or the Newstead.
Brian Stobbs