Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudo-history, and related issues
Ave Fratres,

Since we are sort of talking about Academics, I thought I could share a story from my student days at the University of Vienna. I was enrolled in a History class, with a title something like " Die Voelkereinwanderung" , It covered the fall of the empire in the west through to right before the establishment of the Holy Roman Empire. Since this was Vienna , most emphasis was on events in the West. The course was taught by an older professor ,who had issues. He had to be addressed using all of his titles in a formulaic way, otherwise he would not acknowledge you. His manner of teaching was to start with one blackboard (yes it was that long ago) and provide Date, Name and Incident. We were supposed to copy and memorize all that was written , and to be able to repeat it, on demand. All of this was extremely dry, and mind numbing. However, if you could get your question recognized, the Herr Direktor Professor Doktor etc. was a different person. He would describe an event in minute detail, discuss motives, outcomes, the weather that day, what document was signed, where that document is today, and even what the individuals were wearing. It was like he was an eye witness to the event. He was animated and compelling. Once he felt he had adequately answered the question, it was back to the blackboard.

I know my old professor never resolved that internal conflict between factual data and student interest and it seems that the conflict still continues.

Just thought to share this,...... Regards from a sunny but cool Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pseudo-history, and related issues - by Arminius Primus - 07-13-2009, 06:50 AM