Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudo-history, and related issues
Quote:Yes what's wrong with that view?
That it is counterfactual, as Max Weber proved in the early twentieth century.
Quote:by the way, the arguments for Western exceptionalism were not first put forward in the 19th century, but have been present for centuries prior
Even earlier than you think: the first references to "Europenses" as an independent unity with its own tradition is eighth-century (in the "Mozarabic Chronicle of 754"). What I was aiming at was the philosophical underpinning of this idea by people like J.S. Mill. Yet, you are right that I could have gone back to an earlier period.
Quote:Cartledge and Holland however are a different story. They are done a disservice by being lumped with Farrokh.
Holland just had an unhappy hand in chosing Cartledge as his adviser, true.

Cartledge himself, however, is a different matter. He has a job at a university and must therefore know the article by Weber. If he doesn't, this raises serious questions: how is it possible that someone lacking basic qualifications can obtain a job? (Of course this is normal in politics, banks, and business enterprises. :wink: ) The alternative, which I believe is more plausible, is that Cartledge does know that his argument has been refuted a century ago, but prefers to ignore it. But maybe I am overestimating his knowledge. What I am certain about is that he was wrong to write a laudatory review of Holland's book, a book that he has contributed to. He must have known that this was a conflict of interests.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pseudo-history, and related issues - by Jona Lendering - 06-20-2009, 07:40 PM