Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudo-history, and related issues
Quote:Philosophy and logic are not common subjects when historians are educated; in Germany and the Netherlands, theory is part of the curriculum, but I am not sure that it is common in the Anglo-Saxon world.
One year of philosophy used to be mandatory in Scottish universities; its abandonment in the 1990s is just another symptom of the sad decline in Scottish education.

Quote:A partial explanation is that ancient historians used to be educated as classicists (e.g., Cartledge), so they can explain everything about the exact meaning of an with an optative in a clause, and have not sufficient time for the theoretical foundations of their discipline.
But classicists should have at least a passing familiarity with (ancient) philosophy.

I am always bemused by the fact that ancient history is a subject that many feel they can turn their hand to, without having had any instruction whatsoever. We don't seem to see the same thing happening in other disciplines. I can't suddenly decide to be a barrister, for example, and pitch up at the law courts one morning. Usually, we have to demonstrate our expertise in some way -- I guess the fact that one of your examples is a Cambridge professor may undermine my argument a little, Jona! Smile -- but publishers seem to fall over themselves to publish anything and everything. I recently had the misfortune to review a book entitled Cartimandua, and I have absolutely no idea how it ever got across an editor's desk -- if it had been submitted as an undergraduate dissertation, it would have been shredded.

Perhaps the main offenders are writers who have not studied their source material diligently, and/or are unaware of the limitations of their source material, and/or are willfully ignorant of the range of relevant source material. The words "sloppy" and "ignorant" inevitably spring to mind, but you can't use these in your book, Jona! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pseudo-history, and related issues - by D B Campbell - 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM