Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Materials Used for the Toga
In nearly every book I've read about the Romans' style of clothing records that the toga was made out of wool. However, I don't recall ever reading something from the ancient sources that suggests this. Can someone help me out; does anybody know if there is a source that specifically mentions a toga being made out of wool?
Scott B.
The toga candida, pure white, not off-white, was whitened with chalk dust. I don't think the dust would stick to linen fibers as well as wool. Wool fibers are covered with millions of "tiny teeth" along the shafts of the hair. When warmed in water, these "teeth" open up, and the chalk dust would be captured. When the fabric dries, the teeth close back, and the chalk would stick. This opening and closing is what allows wool to make felt.

I don't think linen behaves that way, being a straight plant fiber, won't make felt.

Well, ok, that's not proof, but it might lend some validity to the idea that togae were made of wool. If you decide to make one, good luck finding 80-90" wide wool, if you're making the voluminous kind. 60" is as wide as I've seen pretty much anywhere. Doesn't drape the same way as the wider cloth seems to have. If you find wool that wide, be sure to let people know the source, as there are some who would want to make a "genuine" toga.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.