Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Places to Visit in Rome?
Get ready for much walking<br>
<br>
The Ara Pacis is under reforms to make a museum and not visitable.<br>
The Domitian baths are closed and you can only visit the nearby museum about Italian pre-history and roman epistographical history.<br>
The Roman National Museum while filled with displays was for my taste quiet a let down from what I expected.<br>
The Hadrian Mausoleum (Castelo St. Angelo) is not really worth it either save for the outside views.<br>
The Caracalla baths are a must...just amazing the size of that complex.<br>
The Capitoline museum is also a must.<br>
The forum areas are also a great view.<br>
<br>
Lesser visited areas I found great...Near the Termini railroad station you can visit the original ancient Roman walls and just nearby go along the Aurelian wall till it joins several aqueducts that make a very impressive impact. Several of the city gates to the South have now a very restricted traffic and are nice to visit.<br>
<br>
Stroling through (or between) the major attractions you can squeeze several cool sites like Aurelian´s Column, the Panthenon, Marcellus Theatre, by the Argentina square (sp?) near the Panthenon a great dig of the area where Caesar was allegedly stabbed (Pompeii forum) and now its a stray cat preserve.<br>
<br>
All in all, whatever you do, get wise beforehand, get all the books you might need and study your daily route in detail. The total absence of informative displays or signs is breathtaking and the few displays you might find are just in Italian...so, you better know that this temple in front of you is X because no one will tell (Unless you get a private explained tour). Very poor organization IMHO.<br>
<br>
Btw..From my experience I did not get neither robbed or abused and I used quite some public transport means including the subway. My g/f though got whisled at several times and cars drive like demented across zebra stripes and through red lights. <p></p><i></i>
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel

Messages In This Thread
walkabout - by Carlton Bach - 02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Re: walkabout - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 02-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Cool Places to Visit in Rome? - by hansvl - 02-21-2005, 07:46 AM
the gates of the walls - by Goffredo - 02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I forgot - by Carlton Bach - 02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Re: I forgot - by Catiline - 02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Re: I forgot - by Ebusitanus - 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Re: I forgot - by Catiline - 02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Re: I forgot - by StrategyM - 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM