Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient greek bireme Hyperborea - finished & UPDATED!
The handling is far better than expected, but it is important to realise that the ship is very different from her modern cousins. It is extremely fast even with 20 rowers without the sail helping, but it is taking a lot of effort to turn it.. and a lot of space! I am confident though that with more practice it should be possible to get the turning maneuver down to a more acceptable diameter.

There is no plan to install a fighting deck. It will serve as a merchant/pirate ship (depending what other ships are nearby Big Grin ) and from my observations, these lighter and faster ships did not often have a fighting deck. As opposed to the trireme (triere) the bireme didnt have a separate crew of rowers and fighters due to the lack of space on the ship. While i can imagine there were definitely few soldiers always ready for battle, for a full scale boarding/landing operations the rowers would need to get their arms and join the fight.

I am open to ideas and objections Smile
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ancient greek bireme Hyperborea - finishing stages - by vipsania - 08-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Re: Ancient greek bireme Hyperborea - finally on water - by Lýsandros - 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM