Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient greek bireme Hyperborea - finished & UPDATED!
There will be another layer of material on top of the plywood shell. We will not use a historically accurate material for it though - the ship must be redeployable, as we will transport it by trucks when necessary and it must be able to deal with longer periods of time on land. As I am currently working away from home and I am not participating that much on the construction at the moment,I am not sure how this material is called, but it was said that it will look very similar to the original. I will find out as soon as I can Smile
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Poseidon's wife is Amphitrite.
Peter Raftos
In Corinth and Syracusae Arethousa, Poseidon's daughter was deeply revered.
Well done guys!

Kind regards
At last, a name was chosen! There were many good candidates and I want to thank all of you for your ideas. In the end, we have made a decision to select a name that would be at least partially representative for us central Europeans and something people would be able to connect with us, instead of going for something pure greek.

It was very difficult to come up with a name to fulfill that criteria and still seem proper for a greek bireme, but also with some councelling with Stefanos, we have found one. Here it is:

HYPERBOREA

It will be finished and officially displayed in our city coming Friday and stay there for the weekend... and on Monday we will transport it to the largest lake in Slovakia to do functional tests and namegiving celebrations! I will post photos of the events as soon as I can, so stay tuned Smile

(Its not just any lake, you can get a glimpse of how it looks like when you search for "Oravska priehrada" or by viweing a representative picture over here :

[Image: oravska-priehrada.jpg]
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Congratulations on a great name! That lake is gorgeous. It looks like a perfect place.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Amazing work! I can't wait to see more pictures.

Tracie
Plans have changed for a bit, so there will be a slight delay with new pictures. The namesgiving ceremonial will happen August 8th, together with a first tests on water. Rather than to post pictures from the land, I will wait and give you picures from the ceremonial. A bit of patience pleaseSmile

In case you are travelling around central Europe, please let me know and you are all heartily welcome to participate. We will apprechiate any greek reanactors who wish to show up and see the ship for themselves (and travel with it around, of course).
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
Great project. Allow me to post two links to similar ancient and medieval shipbuilding projects which may or may not prove useful for your group one day:

http://www2.rgzm.de/Navis/Musea/Mainz/Navismus.htm

http://www.deutsche-museumswerft.de/projekt00.php
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Thanks for the links, we have been closely following the reconstruction of ships Argo and Olympia, as those are thematically closest to our project. Our project had a great advantage, as our shipwright is very skilled and experienced in what he is doing - he already built a functional caravelle, some viking drakkars and a lot of various boats and other smaller vessels.

By the way, the cost for the ship reached almost 500 000 Czech crowns, which is ~ 20 000 Euro. Thats not such a huge pile of money considering the size of the ship. You can barely buy a new medium class car for that,
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
Hello there!

the ship was finished and successfully transported to the testing site, hooray!

If you dont mind some slovak language, you can check a short coverage of the ship's transportation in here:

http://video.markiza.sk/archiv-tv-marki ... viny/30757

wait for the page to load, the go under the player and select #13 Jedina na svete, easy as that Smile

Sorry guys, I am not on TV this time, the guy with the beard is our peltast and project leader, the guy next to him is a very famous ancient ceramics maker from Slovakia, who is also a cofinancer of the project.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
Coolness! I can't wait to see it under sail.

Tracie
To be honest, we cant wait, too Big Grin

The testing procedure will involve installation of a ship power engine, so that we can get a feel for the ship maneuverability. Then we will do tests using rows and at last, when we know what we can expect, we will raise the detachable mast and try sailing. This ship is very specific with sail handling, as it can only utilize back wind and partially side wind. The captain must be very quick to react to adjust to the currents and winds, because too much of strong side wind can eventually make the ship roll over.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
Greetings!

Time for another update, i guess. There are some good news and some bad news, so lets start with the bad ones first, this way we have have a good end Smile The namegiving ceremonial and naval tests had to be delayed, because the commision responsible for ship traffic control did not give us their permission yet. No idea how long is it going to take them, but until then the ship must remain on land, what a pitty!

The good news is that the ship was successfully transported to the testing location and some on-site adjustments have been made, such as installation of the rudders, fermenting of the ship with a special coating that will greatly improve its water resistancy and a bit of painting, too! It has a very scary look in her eyes, I guess most ships would just sink themselves after seeing it , even before our ram would hit themSmile While the ship is not yet fully colored, I am attaching three new pics just for your pleasure.

[Image: mg0064.jpg]

[Image: mg0067.jpg]

[Image: mg0081f.jpg]

This one is also with the tail installed Smile

[Image: p8092182.jpg]

I would like to use this opportunity to thank for your support and interest and to announce that we are still looking for people who would be able to help with the finishing of the last parts: We are actively looking for sponsors for the sail, it has to be 40m2 which is quite a lot of material. And possibly someone who would be in a position to lend us an engine as a form of sponsorship. Even though we would like the ship to remain as ancient looking as possible, the modern regulations direct us to have an engine attached to the ship, for emergency use. (It will be most likely "built in" afterwards, so that we can avoid the funny look Smile ) Should you know anyone who would be able to help, let me know , please! I am sure we would be able to offer some form of cooperation that would be mutually beneficial.

Many thanks again.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
Hello...

I'd like to ask, what material are you envisaging your sail will be made from? If it is canvas, then I may be able to help out with sourcing it very inexpensively...

I know it sounds a bit strange, but it seems that due to the exchange rate of the pound to the euro, textiles are working out much cheaper in the UK - I have quite a few clients saying that buying from the UK is now much cheaper than in most parts of Europe...

I can look through my list of contacts and get you enough material from here at the price it costs me to buy mine when making items...

Cheers
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Hello Cheyenne!

Many thanks for your kind offer! I am sorry that I did not reply sooner, I was a bit busy with the coming end of the season. We are planning to use the same material as most of the old ship replicas - canvas sails. We have considered dacron for its useful properties, but we have yet to find a good and affordable source.

If you can possibly find out more information about the producer and the price and send it to me via PM or over here, it would be of great help.

Many thanks,
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------