Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dory
Hey guys,
New to this forum so I thought I would start with a quick hello! Fascinating discussions going on here, hope to join in soon.
Noticed someone mentioning the great collection of black and red figure housed in the National Museum in Athens and the great variety it offered... not always the Chigi olpe, etc. A great resource/database for pottery, which I use, is the CVA (Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum) - most of their museum collections (loads of museums) are available online. It is painstaking work going through 1000's of pics of sherds, but you do come across 'new' and overlooked pieces, especially relating to warfare.
Re: Spears and sauroters - the latter are somewhat surprisingly smaller and lighter then one would expect (some are actually smaller and of equal weight to the spear head) and vary greatly in shape (even within a restricted time period).
Quote:Re: Spears and sauroters - the latter are somewhat surprisingly smaller and lighter then one would expect (some are actually smaller and of equal weight to the spear head) and vary greatly in shape (even within a restricted time period).

I wonder at modern yearning for "uniformity" in ancient weaponry - down to head size, weight and shape as well as sauroter - a if Henriopoulos Fordopus ran their production lines.

Whilst the mines of Crenides and Laurium might well have modern similes in nineteenth century Welsh coal mines, it is doubtful that the “production line” as we know it existed in ancient times. There will have been quite some variation in manufacture I'd think.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dory Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 19 4,046 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite