Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totalwar series questions.
Hi guys! Ive been playing the totalwar series since it came out and have heard lots about the realism mod but the only reason why i dont play rome anymore is that the ai of the computer sucks ass and its a shame cos out of all of the totalwar series rome appeals to me the most although the new empire game kicks ass. :wink:
It would be great if they remade rome.
Is it worth me getting the rtr mod and are the ai still dumb f^%cks?
Also do any of you guys play multiplayer online with any totalwar games?
I have comms set up if anybody wants to play. I`m part of a gaming community calling ourselves LEGIO XIII.
[url:2g2uy3c5]http://www.legionxiii.org/forum/index.php[/url]
Most of the guys play ww2 combat flight sims and not many play totalwar games or the likes so it would be nice to play against like minded people.
I`m a bit of a noob anyway when it comes to mods with totalwar and would appreciate someones guidance :oops:
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson

Hic nemo est quin Romam amet
I recently reinstalled RTW in order to play it online, but even though I can log into the RTW gamespy room, I can't log into anyone's game. it either tells me the host has failed to respond or some other issue. Sad
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
RTR is a fantastic mod. The AI seems absolutely fine to me even on lower settings (I don't play maxed out myself). Definitely worth trying out.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Quote:I recently reinstalled RTW in order to play it online, but even though I can log into the RTW gamespy room, I can't log into anyone's game. it either tells me the host has failed to respond or some other issue. Sad

If push comes to shove you can always play it over hamachi!
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson

Roma Surrectum is even better... :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I'm with Sandrus - Roma Serrectum is superb!
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Ditto! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Mythos_Ruler:2yf3hzvt Wrote:I recently reinstalled RTW in order to play it online, but even though I can log into the RTW gamespy room, I can't log into anyone's game. it either tells me the host has failed to respond or some other issue. Sad

If push comes to shove you can always play it over hamachi!

hmm
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Salve,
Those issues are either gamespy, or due to just reinstalling you didn't patch them up. The patches are 1.5 for RTW and 1.6 for BI. RTW Gold in the CD case w/ 3 CD's comes at 1.3 and 1.4, respectively. If you're playing with one of those or earlier, chances are you can't get a game in because they have a different patch- and hence a different game version. Try patching, and PM me for details.

the AI in Roma Surrectum almost learns as you go... they don't know how they did it cause the AI is hardcoded, but a mix of unit creation, trait/ancillary creation, and the methods of their code implementation made it that way somehow- thank the gods!

if you're into late Rome, the Invasio Barbororum team has made astounding headway in making mods for that era from Julian's mid 300's campaign to the fall of the WRE. They are about to work on a version that will span from the mid 200's to the mid 300's- the 'dark age' in Total War, spanning the Diocletian reforms and so on that were ignored in the jump from a 200 AD end date to a 400 AD start.
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
I was told the RTW: Gold package is already patched up to where it needs to be.

Quote:Rome: Total War Gold Edition, which combined the fully patched versions of the original game and its first expansion into one DVD (instead of the original game's three CD-ROMs)

I have that version through Steam (and on disc) and when fresh installed it conducts no patching. Installing a mod that is for version 1.5 and BI 1.6 requires no patching either so it must be up to date.

Anyway... I have since after reading this thread and the recommendations for the mod Roma Serrectum, installed it and LOVE it. It is MUCH better than the Rome Total Realism mod. It's definitely a LOT harder and takes a lot more skill to win over battles with light casualties. Before I could just lay in my line of Princepes and be good. Now it takes considerably more effort to win.

The AI in the mod is VERY intelligent and will outmaneuver you whenever possible. It seems to anticipate my moves and shifts position at times. Very cool. Not only that, but it has so many new features (like hired governors) that makes for playing the mod almost a whole new game for me.
What would you like to have in a remade Rome:TW?
--- Marcus F. ---
Hmm... I'd love to see a wider range of possible factions, units, and so forth (like in the Total Realism mod). In that mod you had 20 some odd factions you could join as opposed to the limited ones in Vanilla and other mods. I'd like some more individual movement (to choose to split my men while in battle within a cohort). I'd also like to see an "Advance Until Resistance" setting. Where you can tell your troops to move forward until they hit the enemy and begin fighting. That would help coordination so I can focus on a battle elsewhere (for two fronts) and not have to "click" "click to attack" each group of troops to each group of enemy (leaving gaps in the line).
Has anyone heard if or when, a rome mod will be released for mtw2
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson

Quote:Has anyone heard if or when, a rome mod will be released for mtw2

invasio barbororum II is in open beta in the hosted mods section for MTWII at the TWC, and maybe the .org. It is staged in the late empire. The early rome mods are still underway last I checked- and with MTWII being much LESS mod friendly (you can't make new building models AFAIK, unless someone cracked the code) many mod teams that had formerly considered switching to MTWII such as the RS team have reconsidered. It would look odd to lay siege to Alesia and find a 15th century French City staring you back!

I actually think the ETW engine allows for more possibilities. As you research it automatically upgrades the appearance of troops- Bayonets for instance change, and I'm sure that this could work for armor, and so on... so the the course of a campaign you can speed up, slow down, etc, the Marian and Diocletian reforms through your own military research teams. The engine also allows for proper, not scripted, Civil Wars, and proper ministers. The only thing I don't see happening is having the head of state as a field general which would hamper it considerably considering the feats of Vespasian, Caesar, &Etc.
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Thankyou, you have been very helpful. i`l shall wait for rome mods for mtw2 to be released.
I was really excited about empire but was let down quite a bit when i got it. Glitchy as hell and you can only play it thru steam which has spoilt it for me. :|
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson