Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:Hello Razvan,

diegis:3hs7a3ec Wrote:First, if we agree that Jordanes was right, and the Goths was coming from Scandinavia, it means that he is right when he said that Goths was Dacians/Getians too, since he consider the Dacian history as the Goth history. Correct ?
Absolutely not. Jorganes names Gaets as ancestors, but it is only you who identifies these Gaets with the Dacians. Jordanes does not make such a claim at all.

Quote: Second, why archeology show that are little to no connection betwen Cherneakhov/Santana de Mures and other cultures from west or north west, but instead is a local culture, Daco-Getians and Sarmatian, and with Dacians having the leading role ? You see, we have material evidences who said that, and Jordanes and a lot of other ancient chronicars who said that Goths was mostly formed by Getae-Dacians, and i dont deny ofcourse other "participants", including a germanic ones for sure.
First, it is only assumption that connects the Santana de Mures culture to the Goths. But let's assume that this is correct, I have seen nothing in any report that subsequently claims that "the Dacians had the leading role" in that culture. That is fantasy.
You then go on to claim again that Jordanes and a lot of other ancient chroniclers - WHO ? - say that the Goths were "mostly formed by the Getae-dacians". Jordanes does not, and no other sources do. That's more fantasy.

Quote:But is mostly a forced view that Goths are in fact the Greutungi or others you mentioned, and there is no evidence for that.
No, it's the Gothic sources and others who make that claim, the Greuthungi and Tervingi being the two leading groups of the Goths.

Quote: I just said, backed by both archeology and modern scholars writings and ancient writings that Goths was a mixed people (Dacian, German, Sarmatian), having a culture related more with Dacian one, a culture formed from several influences, but with local Geto-Dacians having the leading role.
And I say that that last part exists only in your imagination, you have no proof for that claim. It's based only on your interpretation that that the 'Gaets' of Jordanes 'must' be the dacians. You are not backed up on that by either archaeologists or modern scholars (outside Rumania).

Hello Valerius

Again, is not about Gaets, but about GET-Getians, who are ofcourse Dacians. I dont think you read Jordanes, but he mention there Burebista, and Deceneus, the Dacian rulers, and thats why i said that Dacians are integrated by Jordanes in Gothic history, as Goths, and other ancient chronicars as Philostorgius (368 - 425), Claudius Claudianus (Panegiric, 395, Against Rufinus, 396 and De bello Gothico, 402), Prudentius, Hieronymus (345 - 420) Eusebiu from Caesarea (260 - 340), Paulo Orosius or medieval as Carol Lundius,in "Zamolxis, primus Getarum legislator", Uppsala, 1687 use the name Getae (the greek name of Dacians) to name the "Goths". Yes, he name them Goths, but they are Getae/Dacian ofcourse, there is no doubt. And i am glad to know and very curious why you think that i am the only one who think like that? Or you make a confusion and say that i think that Gaets are the Gets, which i never said that. What i said is that Gaets and Goths are not the same. That is more an assumption, that Goths are a 100% germanic tribe who migrate from Scandinavia.
About the Cherniakhov/Santana de Mures culture, yes, is the culture attribute to the Goths, the classic Goths and is the area where they are placed by any historian. And archeology, modern archeology, and scholars as Guy Halsall(2007), "Barbarian migrations and the Roman West", 376-568, Cambridge University Press, Michael Kulikowsky (2007), "Rome's Gothic Wars: from the third century to Alaric", Cambridge University Press or John Matthews from which i quote several things posted on "wikipedia" said that this culture is a mix of a local ones, with Daco-Gets having the leading role. As you can see, none of them are from Romania. Yes, germanic peoples was one of the peoples mixed there, but Dacians was a major component too, for sure.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM