Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Hello Alanus

Well, yes, i think we go around on the same arguments ( sorry, never heard of your experesion ), without any of us go too deep in the other words. Well, yes, i agree that Goths had an important germanic part and heritage, but what i said is that they wasnt a 100 % germanic tribe, and they was in their classic times a mix of Germanic, Dacian ( Getian, if you wish, since Dacians was the first Getae, or the original Getae of ancient times ), Sarmatians and who know maybe even other peoples. What i say is that "Gutones" tribes you said was mentioned is not the same with lather Gots/Goths, even if probably was a part of this peoples, and Goths was a more complex peoples then they was reduced or considered by some, as simply some disaperead germanic tribes. About languages and inscriptions now, well, you mention the Massa-Getae tribe, and the fact they was away from original Dacian homeland, or core, and some inscriptions was found in a north iranian dialect. Well, this can be interpretated, because the name of the peoples was the one atributed by ancient greeks to Dacians, and Jordanes himself consider them Gots ( meaning Getae/Dacians ), based on probably the many other previous historians he inspire from. It is know that Dacians was not some peoples who write anything from their history ( much probably because of religion ), but was found some inscription on latin, made by them, so what, we can think now they was some latin peoples ? The same, maybe Massa Getaes was influenced by iranians to write down some things, we dont know for sure. A long period of time english, germans, polish peoples use latin for writings, as church language and as official language at court, but none of them was latin. The same about "Gothic bible", i find a little strange the fact that Goths of Teodoric for ex., or even Jordanes, didnt use gotic language, but latin. Is a little strange that that was the only ( well, one of the very few ) text write in that language, and it appear much later, in medieval times, in Germany. Not at Vatican, or else. I dont say i make a supposition is a text write in medieval times, and atributed to Gots, i just find this a little strange. However, as i said, i agree that Gots had a big germanic part, probably coming from that Gotones you said, but they was for sure a mix of several peoples, including an important Dacian component and influence, in their "classic" times.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM