Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:Hi Razvan,

No Razvan, I did not say that the Goths lied. I hope you just misunderstood me, I do not like to be accused of keeping double standards. Cry
I never said the Goths lied. I said that the Goths meant a different tribe. The Goths claimed that the Gaets were (among) their ancestors. But I dispute that the Goths meant the Getae/Dacians. That is a modern interpretation which I do not share.

I agree fully that the Goths were formed by a mix of peoples, and I have no doubt that people from the Dacian tribes also became part of the Gothic enthnogenesis.

I just dispute that the Goths were influenced by either Dacian culture or Dacian 'prestige'. There is no evidence for that whatsoever.

Hi Robert

Well, i am sorry if i offended you, probably i exaggerated, i am sure you have no intention in doing that, and you are a very correct person. And well, there is for sure different interpretations of things, since there is not a clear established history, with too many clear prouves. Anyway, i do consider that Goths was influenced by Dacian/Getian cultue or prestige, giving the fact that they considered Dacian history as their own one, the Dacian ceramic type was found in the archeological sites referable to Goths, and practicaly all ancient writers mix the term Get with Got, without relating the last with Germanic peoples
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM