Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for books about Flavius Stilicho
Hello folks. Just wondering if anyone here can recommend any good books containing biographical information on Flavius Stilicho. He seems like a fascinating character from a really interesting period of Roman history, but I can't find a lot of information pertaining to him on the internet, and I prefer reading off paper anyway.
Thanks,
- Justin
If you care to wait a bit, our fellow-member Ian Hughes is writing that book just now! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Terrific! Do you know if he is writing a novel or non-fiction?
Non-fiction. he has just finished a book about Belisarius, which I can wholeheartedly recommend.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Don't hold your breath, as it is now due for publication in July 2010 - will be worth the wait though.

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books
I was very happy to see in my copy of SOA's SLINGSHOT that someone (thank you Ian!) was finally writing a volume on Stilicho.
While we're waiting Justin, there are a few volumes that do have a good bit of material on Stilicho; pardon me if you're familiar with all these:

The Roman Empire Divided: The Post Roman World 400 - 700, Moorhead, John
Rome's Gothic Wars, Kulikowski, Michael
Barbarians Within the Gates of Rome: A Study of Roman Military Policy and Barbarians, Ca. 375-425 A.D. BURNS
Generalissimos of the Western Roman Empire O'Flynn, John Michael
Theodosius: The Empire at Bay Stephen Williams
Quote:Don't hold your breath, as it is now due for publication in July 2010 - will be worth the wait though.

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books

Actually, allegedly 30th June! How can an editor get it so wrong?!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

[email protected]
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:While we're waiting Justin, there are a few volumes that do have a good bit of material on Stilicho; pardon me if you're familiar with all these:

The Roman Empire Divided: The Post Roman World 400 - 700, Moorhead, John
Rome's Gothic Wars, Kulikowski, Michael
Barbarians Within the Gates of Rome: A Study of Roman Military Policy and Barbarians, Ca. 375-425 A.D. BURNS
Generalissimos of the Western Roman Empire O'Flynn, John Michael
Theodosius: The Empire at Bay Stephen Williams

I wasn't, thanks for these.