Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmentata Hinges
Avete Omnes!<br>
<br>
I'm curious- does anyone know whether or not any good hypotheses exist as to the actual purpose of the lobate hinges on the collar and shoulders of the Corbridge-type <em>Lorica segmentata</em>? They seem like a real weak point and while I suppose the ones on the shoulders might allow a little more free-movement of a soldier's arms, I don't at all see the point of the collar hinges; with all the armor's weight on them, they don't appear to be even capable of movement. I guess what I'm really looking for is an explanation of their purpose and how the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I just wonder if they may have given enough leeway for when a REALLY violent strike hit them. Re-enactment aside, we're talking the kind of violence that a road traffic accident could have. Sudden, and very very fast, with all sorts of energy and shockwaves going through. If it was there on the armour it must have initially had a reason. Darwinism<br>
<br>
Having said that, it seems to have disappeared by the Newstead segmentata. But then, all segmentata had gone a couple of hundred years later. <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
<<I just wonder if they may have given enough leeway for when a REALLY violent strike hit them. Re-enactment aside, we're talking the kind of violence that a road traffic accident could have. Sudden, and very very fast, with all sorts of energy and shockwaves going through. If it was there on the armour it must have initially had a reason. Darwinism<br>
<br>
Having said that, it seems to have disappeared by the Newstead segmentata. But then, all segmentata had gone a couple of hundred years later. >><br>
<br>
Eh? Haven't you been following developments? The Newstead not only had hinges on the collar section and upper shoulder plates, it had BIGGER, STRONGER hinges than the Corbridge.<br>
<br>
I think the hinges might have had something to do with ease in getting the cuirass on and off and breaking ti down for storage. With the Newstead in particular, it would be very tough to disassemble the chest/shoulder assembly from the girth hoops if the upper section didn't have a little "give" to it.<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Leg VI VPF<br>
CA, USA <p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Eh? Haven't you been following developments?<hr><br>
<br>
Errm, no And, now you mention it, I've even seen photos of what you described and had completely forgotten about it. (ahem) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tarbicus>Tarbicus</A> at: 2/19/05 10:27 am<br></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 611 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,147 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 659 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong