Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Fagans S. Wales- Roman Funeral Pyre
Over the coming weekend we are going to be at St Fagans museum with the Vicus. As a grand finale to the Festival of British Archeology there's going to be a funeral procession and pyre. The body is going to be swapped with a specially slaughtered and dressed pig as a representation of a human corpse. We are taking residence in the Iron age village over the weekend and will be fighting the dasterdly romans, defending our homelands and womenfolk (weather permitting) so if you're in the area pop over and see us- I'm easy to spot as I'm the one with a bandaged leg to hide a broken ankle!

Deb
After a damp start the weekend turned into a scortcher!
The museum seemed very chuffed with our group, and blogged us HERE
some real cracking photo's of our 'body' being carried my the mourners and the pyre taking hold (the 'body' being exchanged for a pig by slight of palla) and a real moving Eulogy by our Priestess to the departed. The pyre was also stacked with grave goods so the archeologists can now rake through the residue and draw conclusions about whats left. A real fab weekend.
[Image: processiontofuneral.jpg]
Procession picture (from the Blog)
[Image: flamestakethebody.jpg]
The flames taking the body (from the Blog)

Deb
X
Awful decent of you smelly barbarians to give the 'Roman pig' a decent sending to the after life!! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Gruff at the front there, doing a very nice 'Mary' impression. :lol:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
There were a lot of high class Romans there you know!

I lurked in the roundhouse like a good Brit should...looking after lunch!

I think it'd be good to do a Brit burial next, just for the comparison.

Deb