Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry Sports Type K, Pfrondorf
Does anybody have any pictures of this?
Dennis Flynn
This helmet is in the helmet database:

[url:326ofdlv]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,92/Itemid,96/[/url]
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Sorry but thats not the one Im looking for. I actually found this helmet in the database (its the last in the line of cavalry sports helmets alphabetically), but it doesnt have a single picture of any of the examples. The descriptions of them though really intruiged me, so I'm curious to see what they look like. I appreciate the help though.
Dennis Flynn
Sorry,

wrong helmet. You can find pictures of the second helmet of this type her:

link edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule #4
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I just notice that the link has been removed.

Apologies if I broke a rule here but I would not have assumed that it is a problem to link to helmet which has been already sold 4 years ago.

Anyway, I have no idea how to link to the picture directly. You may therefore simply want to google "Axel Guttmann" and "helm" and will likely find this helmet quickly.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
It is illegal on this board to link to sites selling artefacts, and for a good reason. When a specific item on this site was sold is thus not really relevant for the rule. See forum rule #4 by following the link in my signature.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thank you for the clarification.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Here are the pics:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Do you think this would have had a mask on it, or the cheek pieces that have that kinda T-shaped opening for the face? Or possibly a third but IMHO unlikely option, cheek pieces similar to that of earlier cavalry helmets with the embossed ear, like a witcham gravel or weiler cheek piece. It would be interesting to see this completed, back in its day. :? oh well
Dennis Flynn
Possibly even the T-type face opening, with a mask in the T-opening?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think from the pictures that Christian has given us the only type of face one can imagine has to be deduced from the figure that sits at the top front, it gives an impression of being a one that folded down from just below that figure however ear coverage becomes a bit more to consider with it having such a straight edge to it.

I did make the Trimontium helmet in the past where I fitted a face that was also found at Trimontium, the face was found in another pit away from the helmet so may not have belonged to each other however there was every indication that it was fitted with a leather hinge ( basicly a leather loop that went thro' the mask forhead and was riveted to the helmet just behind the pointed peek ). This mask did have ears but as I mention with such a straight edge to this particular helmet it's hard to consider just what the face might have been.
Here is a link to the one I made showing such ears.
http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... roman7.jpg
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry Sports J -Anybody know its backstory? Celtic505 4 2,095 05-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Celtic505