Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name help.
Hi everyone Smile ,

I'm from the SCA originally and am doing a Roman persona for our heavy weapons combat and I require assistance from you knowledgeable people.

Okay so I know we have a Praenomen, Nomen and Cognomen. There were not a lot of Praenomen but there was a decent amount of Nomen and Cognomen. My SCA name was Leopold der Wulf (A 14th century Teutonic knight). I'd like to make a roman name that somehow incorporates the Wulf. Heres a few ideas, please tell me if they're overused/incorrect etc.

Gaius Octavius Lupus
Gaius Octavius Vespillo

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this Smile .

-Sincerely
-Leopold
-Ryan Thomas
Ave!

Either one of those looks fine, as far as I can tell. Have fun!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I had a HECK of a time finding a name. There's like you said, limited info on praenomen (or just not many of them at all). There's also some translation of praenomen, nomen, and cognomen, but again, it's limited. What I did was decided from the get go what I wanted.

Being that my name is T.J. I wanted that to be a part of the roman personae. So Titus Juventius was what I ended up with. Titus isn't so widely used or as popular (like Gaius sometimes is when associated with Gaius Julius, Gaius Octavius, Gaius Octavianus, etc), so that was why I picked it. Juventius (or Juventus) from the sources I found generally had a meaning of being "young" or "in the 20's". Which I can only tell is taken from the God of Youth Juventus. Works out because I'm both in my 20's and my last name is Young.

Lastly Tertius was found to be both a praenomen and a cognomen in a couple internet sources (not sure how accurate they are) but the translation was always listed as "Third". Being that I'm the third with my name in my family (father and grandfather with the same name), I picked it.

So it all worked out for me. Someone can correct me if the name is wrong, but from the sources I found it worked out well this way. If you're wanting something along the same lines as what you've had before, there's ways of making it work. I'd suggest running google searches for "roman naming" or specifically "praenomen", "nomen", and "cognomen". The results should yield a number of databases with compiled Roman names. Most of them have associated meanings (as in my case Titus was often associated with meaning, a "title of honor"). So maybe you wanted your personae to have a certain characteristic flair (which cognomens seem to have been a nickname that one earned in their life for doing/being something in particular. ie. Skinny, tall, strong, weak, etc).
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
I got my inspiration from Captain James T Kirk....

Tiberius Lantanius Magnus.

Legion: TBD