Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Eagle?
Avete,<br>
<br>
What was the Roman connection with eagles? Why were there eagles on the standards? I understand the importance of the wolf, but what about the eagle? Is there a legend connected with it?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
-Spatha <p></p><i></i>
There might be a connection between the fact that the animal of Zeus was an eagle and when the romans apapted it to fit their needs with Iupiter came the eagle. Just a thought. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Avete fratres,<br>
<br>
As I undestand it the eagle was the primary animal standard for the romans. Did it always enjoy this prestige over the other animal standards...for example the wolf or the boar? If so how did this come about. I'm just curious.<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
NH24 <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Nope, originally the others were on the same prestige level, Marius raised the eagle to the primary position. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ah Jasper, thanks.....Marius' and his military reforms...how come I always forget about Marius?....*slaps forehead*<br>
<br>
<br>
NH24 <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Also, why NOT an Eagle?<br>
<br>
Golden Eagles are huge, gorgeous, powerful birds. Something like a Golden being able to take down an Antelope or even a Wolf, with a foot spread about the size of our own hands, with Talons longer than that of a Tiger's claw, and able to crush with about 1,000 PSI pressure...Well, you gotta treat something like that with respect.<br>
<br>
Golden Eagles are also known to have a little bit of Strategical Thinking, since taking something down like an Antelope, or a Hare at full speed, ducking and darting, it takes a bit of brain power. (as opposed to say a Bald Eagle which likes to pirate food from other animals...Little brain power needed there)<br>
<br>
Of the 3-4 Golden Eagles I've "met" - Non-releasable Educational birds - they also have a repuation of not taking any crap. They mean buisness, and they absolutely command a presence.<br>
<br>
Eagles/Raptors have always had a significant connection to Power and Aggression in many (if not all) cultures, esspecially those who have a strong Military culture.<br>
<br>
So, How can you go wrong?<br>
<br>
(I also buy into the Iupiter/Mythological connection too, seems fitting.) <p>Titus Vulpius Dominicus ~ Your Friendly Neighborhood Roman Dude.<br>
<br>
Svaviter in Modo, Fortiter in Re (Soft in Manner, Strong in Deed)<br>
<br>
www.higgins.org <br>
www.higginssword.org </p><i></i>